Hello, Mane Landers. I hope all of you are doing well down in Florida. There is plenty to cover today, so let’s jump right into today’s links!
Lions Add Wilder Cartagena on Loan
Orlando City SC announced that Peruvian defensive midfielder Wilder Cartagena will join the club on loan from Al-Ittihad Kalba SC in the United Arab Emirates’ top flight, with an option to extend the loan into next season. Over the course of his 10-year career, the 27-year-old has appeared in 238 competitive matches. Cartagena has previously played with clubs such as CD Godoy Cruz in Argentina, Alianza Lima and Universidad San Martin in Peru, and Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz in Mexico. He’s also made appearances with the Peruvian National Team, playing alongside Orlando goalkeeper Pedro Gallese. This move gives the Lions some depth in the midfield after trading Sebas Mendez to LAFC last month.
Orlando Pride Players Earn Recognition
For the first time this season, an Orlando Pride player made Just Women’s Sports’ monthly NWSL Best XI. Pride defender Kylie Strom made the team’s back line, along with former Pride player Kristen Edmonds. Strom scored in the Pride’s comeback draw against Racing Louisville FC in Daytona on July 3 and also played a part in causing an own goal in a 1-0 win over the Houston Dash on July 8.
Pride midfielder Gunny Jonsdottir was also announced as one of 12 NWSL players chosen as a 2022 Nationwide Ambassador. NWSL players that were selected not only excelled on the field, but also gave back to make an impact with their local communities.
Orlando City Purchases Land Near Exploria Stadium
According to the Orlando Business Journal ($), Orlando City SC has purchased land adjacent to Exploria Stadium that features a church and parking space. With this addition, the club will own the entire block of 15 acres. Orlando City SC spokesperson Jackie Maynard discussed how there are no immediate plans for the space but that it could be used to improve game day experiences for fans in the future.
USWNT Will Play a Friendly Against England
The United States Women’s National Team will play England in a friendly at Wembley Stadium on Oct. 7. This match will take place so long as England qualifies for the World Cup in September rather than having to enter the playoffs that will take place in October. England defeated Germany 2-1 after extra time on Sunday to win the 2022 UEFA Women’s Euro, with Chloe Kelly scoring the game-winning goal to give England its first Euro title. This will be the first time the USWNT will play England at Wembley Stadium. The last time the USWNT played at Wembley Stadium was when it defeated Japan 2-1 in the gold medal game of the 2012 Olympics.
- The Lions moved up one spot to 15th in the MLS power rankings after a week that included a triumphant 5-1 win over the New York Red Bulls and a 2-1 loss to D.C. United.
- Gallese’s save on D.C.’s Taxiarchis Fountas was one of many great stops from this past weekend.
Not all heroes wear capes. Some wear gloves. pic.twitter.com/CliXuMqmwl— Major League Soccer (@MLS) August 2, 2022
- Enjoy these photos of the newest Lions as they train for Saturday’s match against the New England Revolution.
- USL League One side Union Omaha added former Lion Corey Hertzog to its roster. Hertzog had previously played with USL Championship side Hartford Athletic.
- The Colorado Rapids won their first road game of the year after beating the Red Bulls 5-4 in a wild game.
- The Philadelphia Union signed defensive midfielder Richard Odada from Red Star Belgrade on a two-and-a-half-year contract.
- Atlanta United defender George Campbell will be out for a few weeks after sustaining an adductor injury in a scoreless draw against the Chicago Fire this past weekend.
- Chelsea FC completed the signing of Fire goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina on a six-year contract with the Blues. He’ll remain with the Fire on loan until the end of the season.
- Toronto FC agreed to loan winger Jacob Shaffelburg to Nashville SC through the 2022 season. The Reds will get $225,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money, while Nashville SC has the option to buy Shaffelburg and also received a 2022 international roster slot.
- Bayern Munich defender Alphonso Davies plans to donate all of his earnings from playing with Canada at the World Cup to charity.
- The 2022 Leagues Cup showcase kicks off tonight as MLS clubs take on teams from Liga MX. A doubleheader will be played at SoFi Stadium as the LA Galaxy will play host Chivas de Guadalajara before LAFC takes on Club America.
That will do it for me today, Mane Landers. Enjoy your Wednesday and I’ll see you next time.