Merry Monday morning, Mane Landers! There might not be any Orlando City matches right now, but there sure is a ton of soccer to enjoy as the Orlando Pride and Orlando City B are still in action. With their games and many international matches, it was a busy weekend of watching soccer. Now that we’ve started a new week, let’s get to the links.
U.S. Draws With Uruguay
The USMNT hosted Uruguay in Kansas City in the second of two friendlies this month. The U.S. held on for a 0-0 draw against the 13th-ranked team in the world. The Yanks looked better against Uruguay in the first half when they played their starters and Uruguay did not. Things got tougher for the USMNT as Uruguay subbed in some of its starters in the second half. Regardless, it is a good result for the U.S. against another team headed to the World Cup later this year.
Wales Ends Ukraine’s World Cup Dream
Much of the world was rooting for Ukraine to make the World Cup given all the country has been through this year. Unfortunately, Wales also wanted to make the World Cup, and was able to do so on an own goal by Ukraine’s Andriy Yarmolenko. The 1-0 win puts Wales into Group B with the U.S., England, and Iran. The U.S. will face Wales in its first match of group play.
International Results From Around the World
Lionel Messi did a lot of Messi things in Argentina’s 5-0 win over Estonia. The Argentinian scored all five of the goals in the friendly in Spain. This is the second time in his career that he has scored five goals in a match.
Orlando City’s Pedro Gallese kept a clean sheet for the Peruvian National Team in a 1-0 victory in the friendly over New Zealand. Gianluca Lapadula scored the goal for Peru in the second half.
The Canadian Men’s National Team refused to play its friendly against Panama in protest of compensation issues and to support equal pay for the Canadian Women’s National Team. The players want equal pay for the women, 40% of the World Cup prize money, and the development of a domestic women’s league.
In America, the USMNT players and staff sent the following letter to Congress urging action to end gun violence.
The Vermont Green Football Club is an outstanding example of how a local soccer team can make a difference in its community. The club focuses on environmental and social issues in the Burlington, VT community.
- United States Women’s National Team and Lyon midfielder Catarina Macario has suffered a torn ACL.
- Despite not making the World Cup, Ukraine plans on resuming competitive football. The country suspended play following the Russian invasion. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved the restart.
- It might be 2022, but for Toronto FC it may feel like 2020 as it finally became the 2020 Canadian Championship winner, defeating Canadian Premier League side Forge FC on penalty kicks.
- Gareth Bale’s time at Real Madrid is done, but don’t worry as the veteran supposedly has plenty of offers in the pipeline.
- Brazil’s Ronaldo is riding from Valladolid to Santiago de Compostela to celebrate Valladolid’s promotion back into La Liga. Ronaldo made the promise when he purchased a 51% stake in the club.
- Liga MX club Atlas FC reportedly made an offer for D.C. United midfielder Edison Flores. If the transfer is completed it will open up a Designated Player spot for D.C. United.
That will do it for today. We get to look forward to another USMNT match this week as well as the Pride at the Chicago Red Stars. Check back this week for additional coverage.