Happy Thursday, Mane Landers. Before we enjoy today’s links, let’s wish Orlando City B forward Ethan Subachan a happy 17th birthday today!
New Face in the Orlando Pride Camp
Former English Women’s Super League and NWSL defender Brooke Hendrix is training with the Orlando Pride.
Former West Ham, Washington Spirit and Racing Louisville defender Brooke Hendrix is training with the Pride.— Austin David (@AustinDavid22) June 1, 2022
Hendrix played at West Ham with current Pride keeper Anna Moorhouse. pic.twitter.com/AP9uXVbNt7
The 29-year-old native of Georgia played in the NWSL in 2021, when she made seven appearances with Racing Louisville. She last played with Melbourne Victory FC in Australia, making 11 appearances and scoring a goal this past season. This doesn’t necessarily mean Hendrix will end up joining Orlando, but the NWSL transfer window is open.
USMNT Shuts Out Morocco, 3-0
Goals by Brenden Aaronson, Tim Weah, and Haji Wright propelled the U.S. Men’s National Team to a dominant 3-0 friendly victory over fellow World Cup entrant Morocco in Cincinnati Wednesday night. After bringing down a long ball from Walker Zimmerman with a beautiful touch, Christian Pulisic found Aaronson for an easy look in front of goal in the 26th minute. Things just got better for the U.S. from there and the Yanks cruised to an easy win. The squad travels to Kansas City to face Uruguay in another friendly this Sunday before two Concacaf Nations League matches on June 10 and 14.
USMNT Camp Storylines
The USMNT’s Pulisic and Weston McKennie are excited to be reunited with striker Haji Wright in a U.S. national team camp. Malik Tillman chose to play with the United States over Germany because he sees a quicker path to making a World Cup roster with the Americans and he likes where USMNT Head Coach Gregg Berhalter envisions him on the pitch. According to MLSSoccer.com’s Joseph Lowery, this USMNT window is huge, for various reasons, for Matt Turner, Walker Zimmerman, Aaron Long, Kellyn Acosta, Cristian Roldán, and Jesús Ferreira.
Ukraine One Win Away from World Cup
Ukraine is one win away from qualifying for the 2022 World Cup after knocking out Scotland 3-1 in a playoff semifinal match in Glasgow. Ukraine will now play Wales in Cardiff on Sunday and the winner of that match will advance to the World Cup, where it will face the United States on the competition’s first day. Captain Andriy Yarmolenko scored in the 33rd minute and helped create Roman Yaremchuk’s header in the 49th. Callum McGregor’s 79th minute strike put Scotland on the board but Ukrainian substitute Artem Dovbyk scored in stoppage time to finish out the game.
- With the summer transfer window opening, keep an eye on these MLS players who might be on the move.
- Charlotte FC’s Karol Świderski scored in the 85th minute to lead Poland past Wales, 2-1, in a UEFA Nations League matchup.
- All signs point to in-form Inter Miami CF striker Leonardo Campana landing a spot on Ecuador’s World Cup 2022 roster.
- St. Louis City SC signed Swedish defender Joakim Nilsson through 2026 and Real Salt Lake fended off European suitors to acquire American attacking midfielder Diego Luna from USL Championship side El Paso Locomotive.
- MLS clubs will compete for up to nine spots in Concacaf’s expanded Champions League format starting in 2024.
- The NWSL’s Kansas City Current released renderings of the team’s projected 11,500-seat stadium that will open in time for the 2024 season.
- American investment firm RedBird Capital Partners is expected to complete its $1.3 billion purchase of Italian Serie A side AC Milan by September, becoming the club’s fourth owner in five years.
- Argentina is unbeaten in its last 32 matches after defeating Italy, 3-0, in the Finalissima.
- Gareth Bale confirmed his departure from Real Madrid after nine years in a letter to the club’s fans.
- Paul Pogba and Jesse Lingard will leave Manchester United this summer on free transfers.
Thanks for joining us here, Mane Landers. Vamos Orlando!