Hello, Mane Landers. I hope all is well down in Florida. I’ve had a busy week at work and will try to catch up on some soccer this weekend. We have plenty to cover today, so let’s get to the links.
Orlando City SC Faces Nashville SC Tonight
Orlando will be on the road tonight for a midweek match-up against Nashville SC. The match kicks off at 8:30 p.m. and you can watch it locally on FOX 35 Plus or you can stream it on the LionNation app. The Lions currently sit in fourth place in the Eastern Conference, just one point behind third-place Nashville. Orlando hasn’t lost in its past three MLS games as the team prepares to play in Nissan Stadium, where Nashville has yet to lose a match this season. Tonight’s match is the first of three meetings between the two sides this year. The last time the two played each other was on Decision Day in 2020, with Nashville winning 3-2 at Exploria Stadium.
Orlando Pride Loan Konya Plummer to Sweden’s AIK
Defender Konya Plummer was loaned from the Pride to AIK in Sweden through Nov. 15. With Ali Riley’s return from the Olympics and the recent addition of Amy Turner, Plummer will see more opportunities for playing time while on loan than with the Pride. AIK is near the bottom of the table in Sweden’s top flight and has conceded a league-high 36 goals in 13 matches this season. Drafted 10th overall in the 2020 NWSL draft, Plummer has made seven appearances and played 305 minutes across all competitions for the Pride. This should be a good move for all parties as Plummer can get important minutes abroad while the Pride will still have a strong group of defensive players for the rest of the season.
Derek Dodson Scores for Hartford Athletic
Orlando City forward Derek Dodson continues to do well in the USL Championship while on loan with Hartford Athletic. Dodson scored Hartford’s first goal in a 2-1 win over the Charleston Battery, getting his head on a nice cross from Danny Barrera in the 31st minute.
The goal was Dodson’s fourth with Hartford since going on loan in early July. Orlando drafted Dodson with the No. 8 overall pick in the 2021 MLS SuperDraft and can recall him at any point while on loan. With the win, Hartford moves back into playoff position and its next match will be on Sunday at 6:30 p.m. against Miami FC.
Megan Rapinoe is Taking Time to Decide Her Future
Earlier this week, United States Women’s National Team forward Carli Lloyd announced her retirement from soccer. OL Reign forward Megan Rapinoe also won bronze with the USWNT at the Olympics and isn’t sure what her future in soccer holds. She returns to the NWSL this week and will spend some time thinking about her next move.
“Just in terms of my whole career, I don’t really know yet. I need to take some time to think about it,” Rapinoe said on ESPN’s Spain and Fitz show when asked whether she would be following Lloyd into retirement.
“They always say, ‘You’ll know when you know,’ but it’s not really like that, because you could kind of keep going, and it’s like ‘Aw yeah, you’ve accomplished so much, you’ll be fine stepping away.’ But the conversation is always anguished in your mind. Or people just don’t think about it. I’ve been thinking about it a lot.”
- Orlando defender Kyle Smith talked about how he and the Lions are staying grateful and positive.
- Orlando City dropped one spot to eighth in this week’s MLS power rankings.
- Atlanta United players will be compensated by MLS after they were denied mandated days off.
- The Portland Thorns traded USWNT goalkeeper Adrianna Franch to Kansas City in exchange for goalkeeper Abby Smith and $150,000 in allocation money. Franch joined the Thorns before the 2016 season after a trade with the Pride and was named NWSL Goalkeeper of the Year in 2017 and 2018.
- The Portland Timbers and Thorns will require fans to show proof of vaccination starting on Aug. 25.
- United States Men’s National Team midfielder Brenden Aaronson scored a late winner for RB Salzburg as the Austrian club defeated Brondby 1-0 in the first leg of its UEFA Champions League qualifier.
- Robert Lewandowski scored two goals as Bayern Munich won 3-1 over Borussia Dortmund to win the German Super Cup.
- CF Montreal and goalkeeper Clement Diop agreed to mutually part ways.
That will do it for me today, Mane Landers. Enjoy your Wednesday and I’ll see you next time.