The United States Soccer Federation announced today that Exploria Stadium will host all six matches of the 2021 SheBelieves Cup as a trio of double-headers on Feb. 18, 21, and 24. It will be the third time the event has been held at Exploria Stadium and the first time all of the tournament’s matches will be held in Orlando. The announcement comes on the heels of the venue hosting upcoming United States Women’s National Team friendlies against Colombia on Jan. 18 and 22.
Joining the USWNT in the competition are Brazil, Japan, and Canada. There were some reports out of Brazil that indicated Norway would be the fourth team but it will instead be the USWNT’s rivals from the north entering the competition for the first time. The U.S. is the only country to take part in all six SheBelieves Cups (including 2021). The first three consisted of the USWNT, France, England, and Germany. Brazil and Japan joined the U.S. and England in 2019. Spain stepped in last year for Brazil.
“I can’t wait for this tournament and I know our players feel the same way,” said U.S. Women’s National Team Head Coach Vlatko Andonovski said in a press release. “We put in all this work to play matches, so to get three great ones in this world class event that resembles group play at an Olympics is something we’re very thankful for. It will be a bit different this year with limited fans, but with the Olympics once again on the horizon our players will be highly motivated and there’s no better way to prepare for the tournament than to play teams that will be in Japan. There’s some great history between these countries and I know all six games will be fun to play in and to watch.”
As with the upcoming Colombia friendlies, U.S. Soccer is planning on making a limited amount of tickets available for each doubleheader. More ticketing information will be released at a later date. For the opportunity to buy tickets before the general public, fans should consider becoming U.S. Soccer Insiders. Membership is free at the standard membership level.Exploria Stadium previously hosted the SheBelieves Cup in 2018 and 2020 — both of which included U.S. wins over England. Exploria also hosted France vs. Germany and Spain vs. Japan in those two previous SheBelieves Cup match days. The stadium continues to be a destination for high-profile soccer events after recently hosting the quarterfinals, semifinals, and final of the 2020 Concacaf Champions League.
Orlando Pride stars Alex Morgan, Ashlyn Harris, Ali Krieger and Marta could all potentially be on their nation’s rosters for the event.
The USWNT is 2-0-0 at Exploria Stadium, with a 3-0 aggregate, winning both games against England. The U.S. women also previously faced Denmark and Sweden in Orlando in the 1996 Olympics at the venue formerly known as the Citrus Bowl. The USWNT beat Denmark 3-0 on July 21, 1996, and defeated Sweden 2-1 two days later. The USWNT also beat Brazil 3-1 on Oct. 25, 2015 in a friendly at the building now known as Camping World Stadium. The U.S. women are 12-0-0 in all matches played in the City Beautiful.
Notable Soccer Events at Exploria Stadium
- Oct. 6, 2017 — USMNT World Cup qualifier vs. Panama (U.S. won, 4-0)
- Oct. 14, 2017 — NWSL Championship (Portland Thorns beat North Carolina Courage, 1-0)
- Dec. 3, 2017 — NCAA Women’s College Cup (Standford beat UCLA, 3-2)
- Jan. 10-11 2018 — Florida Cup (Corinthians (BRA) 1-1 PSV Eindhoven (NED); Rangers (SCO) 1-0 Atletico Mineiro (BRA))
- March 7, 2018 — SheBelieves Cup (USWNT 1-0 England; France 3-0 Germany)
- Jan. 10 & 12, 2019 — Florida Cup (Ajax (NED) 2-2 Flamengo (BRA); Ajax (NED) 4-2 Sao Paulo (BRA); Flamengo (BRA) 1-0 Eintracht Frankfurt (GER))
- March 21, 2019 — USMNT friendly vs. Ecuador (U.S. won, 1-0)
- June 28, 2019 — International Friendly: Pachuca (MEX) vs. Independent Medellin (COL) (Medellin won, 2-1)
- July 31, 2019 — MLS All-Star Game (Atletico Madrid beat MLS All-Stars, 3-0)
- Nov. 15, 2019 — USMNT Concacaf Nations League vs. Canada (U.S. won, 4-1)
- Jan. 15 & 18, 2020 — Florida Cup (Corinthians (BRA) 2-1 New York City FC (USA); Palmeiras (BRA) 0-0 Atletico Nacional (COL); Palmeiras (BRA) 2-1 New York City FC (USA); Atletico Nacional (COL) 2-1 Corinthians (BRA))
- March 5, 2020 — SheBelieves Cup (USWNT 2-0 England; Spain 3-1 Japan)
- Dec. 15-22, 2020 — Concacaf Champions League quarterfinals, semifinals, and final
- *Jan. 18 & 22, 2021 — USWNT friendlies vs. Colombia
- *Feb. 18, 21 & 24, 2021 — 2021 SheBelieves Cup
* - indicates future event