Happy Thursday, Lionesses and Lions. As usual, I hope you overcame your hump day with ease. Orlando City drew 1-1 to Nashville SC away from home, inching up to third place in the Eastern Conference, thanks to a goal differential tiebreaker.
Along with Orlando City’s draw in the city of music, there was also a great deal of other news that occurred as well. So on that note, let’s get right into the links.
Orlando City Draws at Nashville SC
Orlando City managed its third draw of the season away from home to Nashville SC in a 1-1 final from Tennessee. Despite being the superior side for large portions of the match, the Lions were not quite able to force through a go-ahead goal against the side that sits 12th in the Eastern Conference. Orlando City has its next match at home to southern rivals Atlanta United in just two days time, and hopes to maintain the undefeated record at home this season.
Check back later today for player grades from Scott Carnevale and five takeaways from Ben Miller.
Orlando Pride Sign Chelsee Washington and Brittany Wilson
The Orlando Pride announced the signing of two players at once on Wednesday. The Pride added draft selection Chelsee Washington, a midfielder, and Brittany Wilson, a goalkeeper, ahead of the NWSL Fall Series. Both players were signed to short-term contracts prior to Orlando Pride withdrawing from the NWSL Challenge Cup, but neither could play at all given the coronavirus pandemic and the team pulling out of the vent. Now, however, the pair will be able to participate come Sept. 19 away from home against the North Carolina Courage.
Pity Martinez Leaving Atlanta United
Atlanta United has apparently sold Pity Martinez to Saudi club, Al-Nassr. The Lions have roared him out of the league. Martinez, who was last seen coughing up the ball to Junior Urso for a late Nani goal in Atlanta on Saturday afternoon, was confirmed to be on his way to Saudi Arabia by Atlanta United President Darren Eales.
Neymar and Other PSG Players Test Positive for COVID-19
Neymar, Angel Di Maria, and Leandro Paredes have all tested positive for the coronavirus. Given the fact that three players have already tested positive, it looks likely that PSG will see its first match against Metz postponed due to the strict Ligue 1 protocols. If a French side has four players test positive, the match will be delayed. On that note, a report has emerged from AS English that PSG fear that Keylor Navas may also test positive. If he does, PSG will have its match postponed just like the Marseille and Saint-Etienne clash.
- DC United has reportedly shown interest in Gylfi Sigurdsson. The Everton midfielder from Iceland is turning 31 next week and the Toffees are looking to offload him.
- Similarly to Orlando CIty, Premier League side Arsenal is also looking into letting supporters back in. The Gunners plan to let in 15,000 supporters (25% capacity) into the Emirates come October.
- Manchester United pulled off a masterful coup, signing Donny Van de Beek from Ajax. The 23-year-old Dutchman is the first signing of the summer for the Red Devils and will want to emulate his girlfriend’s father Denis Bergkamp’s amazing success in England, though it will be for an Arsenal rival.
- NBC will show 50 FA Women’s Super League matches across its platforms during the 2020-2021 season.
- Brazil is doing this right:
The Brazilian federation (CBF) has announced that its men's and women's national teams will receive equal daily payments and proportions of prize money from the World Cup. pic.twitter.com/PYANPcoNYZ— The Equalizer (@EqualizerSoccer) September 2, 2020
That’ll do, pig. That’s all for this Thursday’s links. Until next time, I’ll catch you on the flip side.