Happy Thursday, Lionesses and Lions. I sincerely hope you overcame your hump day with ease. Orlando City has a tremendous chance of qualifying for the MLS is Back final. If the Lions manage to brush past Minnesota United, which has looked fantastic under former Orlando City manager Adrian Heath, then they will do so. Of course, it will be no easy feat as it is anyone’s game.
With that, let’s get into the links.
Orlando City B Season Will Start Behind Closed Doors
Orlando City B has announced that the team will start the 2020 season behind closed doors. No decision is completely final as of yet, and the club has stated that the situation will be monitored on a week-by-week basis, but for the time being no supporters will be allowed to spectate live.
Orlando City B will kick off its 2020 USL League One home season on Friday, August 14 at Osceola County Stadium at Osceola Heritage Park. Today the Club has announced that, to begin the season, OCB home matches will be closed-door. However, the Club will continue to monitor the current climate on a week-by-week basis and re-evaluate the opportunity to open matches to fans. Further updates will be provided as they become available.
As ever, OCB matches can still be found on ESPN+. The club has also stated that supporters with season passes will be contacted and given further information.
Orlando Pride Waive Defender Erin Greening
The Orlando Pride have announced that 23-year-old defender Erin Greening has been waived by the club. After 17 appearances and a promising start to life with the Pride, the move is surprising to myself and many others. Orlando City wished her all the best going into the future.
“On behalf of the entire Pride organization, we’d like to thank Erin for her time with the Club and wish her luck in the next chapter of her career,” Orlando Pride Head Coach Marc Skinner said.
Injury Update for Minnesota United Semifinal Match-Up
Positive injury news has emerged prior to today’s semifinals match-up. While Dom Dwyer will certainly be out against the Loons with his long-term injury, and Chris Mueller remains questionable, neither Junior Urso nor Robin Jansson are included on the Lions’ injury report. If the pair make a return against Heath and his dynamic side, that would help greatly. Even if the Brazilian and the Swede are not played from the start, they are both still great options to have off of the bench if Oscar Pareja decides to slowly ease them back into action.
Injury report for Orlando City ahead of tomorrow's match — Júnior Urso and Robin Jansson aren't listed, while Mueller remains questionable. Solid availability considering this will be the Lions' sixth match in four weeks. pic.twitter.com/rhVaXYzmLQ— Julia Poe (@jpoe24601) August 5, 2020
Portland Beats Philly to Reach MLS is Back Final
The Timbers defeated the Union 2-1 in the MLS is Back semifinals to reach a final match-up against the winner of Orlando City and Minnesota United. Goals from Jeremy Ebobisse and Sebastian Blanco were enough to put Portland through despite a late push from Philadelphia. The final will be held next Tuesday.
- Orlando City has completed the final training session before the semifinal match-up and the boys look pumped and ready to go.
- Nani expressed his belief in Orlando City. The captain looks blood-thirsty and hungry for a win in light of the semifinal fixture, and that is a scary sight for the Loons but a great one for the Lions.
- Manchester City has completed the signing of Bournemouth defender Nathan Ake. The central defender has parted ways with the Cherries and will now ply his trade with the Blues of Manchester.
- Inter Milan beat Getafe 2-0 in the Europa League in a one-game knockout fixture. The Italian giants are now on to the quarterfinals of the competition and are one of the favorites to win the trophy.
- Manchester United beat LASK 2-1 to finish off the Round of 16 fixture by a margin of 7-1. The Red Devils also have a really strong chance of winning the tournament and next to Antonio Conte’s Inter, they are favorites of the competition as well.
- And on the subject of the Red Devils and Inter Milan, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed Alexis Sanchez’s switch to Milan.
That’ll do, pig. That is all for today’s links. The game today against Minnesota United is massive and a win would see the Lions through to the final in our own backyard. Come on you Lions, bring it home. There’s only one side that deserves a title win in this backyard.