How’s it going, Mane Landers? Hopefully you all are hanging in there as we transition from the week to the weekend. While that has lost some of its meaning with so many people working from home, that short walk from the home office to the sofa can still be really satisfying. Now, let’s get this Friday started with some links from around the soccer world.
Nani Checks In
As the MLS suspension continues, Orlando City captain Nani took to Twitter to check in with fans. The 33-year-old urged everyone to stay home while the world gets through this pandemic, but also took the time to ask how everyone was doing during this time without soccer.
Despite these tough times, my family and I have been trying to stay busy and we are doing lots of things together. And you? How have you been spending your time at home? ⌛ We miss football! ⚽ @adidas #HomeTeam #CreatedWithAdidas #wemissfootball #home #familytime #stayathome pic.twitter.com/qvclfKxRNi— Nani (@luisnani) March 26, 2020
Carson Pickett Recognized
Although the W-League is all wrapped up, the league is still giving shout-outs to the international players who made the trip to Australia to play in this past season. The Orlando Pride’s Carson Pickett had a great season with the Brisbane Roar, although her team couldn’t reach the postseason. A force both on offense and defense, the fullback scored three goals this season and created plenty of chances for the Roar by whipping crosses into the box. It was Pickett’s third year with the Roar and another strong showing in Australia as she worked through the Pride’s off-season.
NPSL Cancels 2020 Season
Before the National Premier Soccer League season could even get started, it is officially cancelled. NPSL Chairman Kenneth Farrell made a statement regarding the difficult and unanimous decision by the Board of Directors. It is unfortunate news for the 94 teams in the league but the NPSL is working to ensure that the league thrives in the future.
Getting to Know Will Wilson
New United States Soccer Federation CEO Will Wilson sat down to answer some questions regarding his position and the future of soccer in the country. Wilson also weighed in on the situation with the United States Women’s National Team and how there is plenty of work to be done to find a solution. It’s a great read to help get inside his head and learn more about what he is all about as a leader of the USSF.
- A Sacramento Republic FC player tested positive for COVID-19 and is now isolated at home.
- With the soccer world on pause, FIFA is working on solutions that could change how player contracts and transfers are handled.
- Those aren’t the only changes that could be coming though. Unfortunately, women’s clubs across England and under the Football Association are in danger of folding from the financial pressures.
- An Orange County stay-at-home order will extend some restrictions on tourism in the area so make sure to check it out if you’re local. Here in Tampa, we have a safer-at-home order coming later tonight so I’ll be suffering as well. But we have to flatten that curve, so stay strong!
- We end our links today with commentator Ian Darke staying entertained at home. He may be going a little stir crazy, but he’s as hilarious as ever.
Has it come to this for commentary-starved commentators? pic.twitter.com/OLw50cBR5b— Ian Darke (@IanDarke) March 26, 2020
That’ll do it for today, Mane Landers. How are you all keeping sane out there? Let me know in the comments below if you have some tip or trick to keep the boredom and craziness at bay.