Orlando City went from the elation of having beaten New York City FC in penalties to the panic of seeing goalkeeper Pedro Gallese sent off with a second yellow card for daring to move his boots a fraction of an inch off the goal line. Defender Rodrigo Schlegel told Oscar Pareja, “Papi, I can do that,” and was given a goalkeeper’s jersey, some gloves, and sent out to face talented NYCFC striker Valentin Castellanos.
Schlegel certainly didn’t look like a goalkeeper on the ensuing Castellanos penalty, and disbelief and worry set in when Sean Johnson’s diving save prevented Nani from winning the shootout on the next kick. Orlando went into sudden death penalty kicks with a center back in goal. But, after an exchange of goals, Schlegel made an improbable save to deny Gudmundur Thórarinsson, paving the way for Benji Michel to win it with the next kick — which he did.
As usual, our friends at BreakingT captured the iconic moment with a shirt approved by the MLSPA, and now you can own this piece of history and wear it on the front of you.
Check out this beauty:
Schlegel’s celebratory eruption is captured here under the caption “Saving the City,” which he certainly did. Below his picture are the words he spoke to Pareja, as he bravely lobbied his coach to let him stand in for Gallese, who just happens to be Peru’s national team goalkeeper. Pareja had another volunteer in Andres Perea, but he went with Schlegel, who had played goalkeeper at the academy level but never professionally, and a new star was born.
Grab your shirt to commemorate what has already gone down as one of the most amazing and iconic moments in Orlando City history!
Pick yours up today, here:
And don’t forget our other shirts over at BreakingT:
- Florida is Purple: MLS might have two teams in the state of Florida now, but purple > pink and lions > herons. Get your Florida is Purple shirt here.
- Cash Money Mueller: Show your appreciation for Orlando City’s very own Money Badger with a Chris Mueller shirt, which you can pick up here.
- Nani: You can wear the captain’s special celebration after knocking out LAFC with the final penalty with this shirt.
- Flippin’ for the Final: Celebrate Orlando City’s first appearance in a final in the MLS era with this special shirt, showing Nani’s iconic back flip.
- “Good Night, Atlanta”: Chris Mueller’s goal helped Orlando finish an unbeaten four-match season series with the Five Stripes.
And check our Orlando fan gear area periodically for new additions to your Orlando City wardrobe or to help you find the perfect gift for all of the OCSC fans in your life.