Good morning and happy Wednesday, Mane Landers! I hope this short week finds everyone well. Let’s go ahead and jump right into some links from around the soccer world.
Dom Dwyer Knows This Season is Important
With training camp officially open after this past Monday, players had a chance to set new goals for the season. Orlando City forward Dom Dwyer knows he has a point to prove after a 2019 season filled with struggles and he is focused on the team effort.
“It’s team first, that’s the way that it always is,” said Dwyer. “That’s the way to bring success. We’ll get together as a group, and we’re going to get to know each other this preseason. We’ve got a lot of new guys coming in, a lot of talent, so much young talent for this club. So really it’s a time for us to get together and group and see what we can achieve.”
Head Coach Oscar Pareja is already setting high expectations for the team and the club gave a sneak peek into training under the new gaffer’s leadership.
Ashlyn Harris and Ali Krieger in Super Bowl Commercial
The Pride stars make up one of six inspirational stories that will feature in Budweiser’s Super Bowl commercial. Budweiser teased audiences with the commercial as it shared the ad for the first time with those being featured. The commercial will feature many other heroes and role models such as Hannah Gavios, a runner who completed the New York City marathon after being paralyzed by an attacker during a sexual assault. I’m already crying.
Budweiser's #SuperBowlLIV commercial is almost here.— Budweiser (@budweiserusa) January 21, 2020
Watch what happened when we debuted it to a special group of people...
LIKE this tweet to be the first to see the full commercial on 1/23. pic.twitter.com/J43SrLkXGg
Zadorsky Continues to Get Called Up
The Canadian Women’s National Team announced its squad for the Concacaf Women’s Olympic qualifying yesterday. The Orlando Pride’s Shelina Zadorsky will suit up for as Canada aims to qualify in the Concacaf semifinals on Feb. 7.
“The players and everyone around the team cannot wait to get this year started and this qualification going,” said Kenneth Heiner-Møller, Canada Soccer’s Women’s National Team Head Coach. “The biggest multi-sport event in the world is only a few months away and we want to deliver a massive performance at the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament in Japan. First we need to qualify, so to do that, we need to focus on the next three weeks and the matches we must perform in to get there.”
Allen Chapman Talks VAR
MLS Referee of the Year Allen Chapman spoke about the controversial VAR and its clear and obvious errors.
“The definition of that is sometimes blurred since what’s clear and obvious for you may not be clear and obvious for me,” Chapman said during an interview with SiriusXM FC. “That’s where it gets crazy. In a way, we’re trying to take some of the human element out of it and just the science is telling us. But in truth, that’s not the case. There’s a lot of subjectivity. Obviously, there are areas for improvement and there’s training that we go through to try to clarify what is clear and obvious.”
- Lions’ U.S. Open Cup hero and former goalkeeper Adam Grinwis has a new team as he’s signed with Sacramento Republic FC.
- Orlando City announced City Art Jam, which will have the new jersey available as well.
The place to be to get the new City jersey for the first time in person ⬇️— Orlando City SC (@OrlandoCitySC) January 21, 2020
⌚️ 6:00 pm
- Former Orlando City assistant Sean McAuley has been an hired by Minnesota United as an assistant coach.
- A new career highlight video featuring Orlando City legend Dennis Chin has landed on YouTube.
- The North Carolina Courage are giving fans the chance to choose the design for the 2019 championship ring and enter for a chance to win one.
- Amanda Powers was named FC Tucson president, the second-ever female club president in U.S. men’s professional soccer history.
- FC Dallas signed Franco Jara from Liga MX side Pachuca to a pre-contract to join the team in July.
- Midfielder Julian Gressel is headed to D.C. United after a trade with Atlanta United.
- New York City FC’s Ronny Deila promised fans that if the team wins the MLS Cup, he will strip down.
- Emiliano Sala will be honored by teammates.
One year ago today, Emiliano Sala died in a plane crash.— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) January 21, 2020
This weekend his Nantes teammates will be wearing a special kit in his honour ❤️ pic.twitter.com/gWsk5zqaIr
- Everton with all of the sweetness.
Everton let local school children create portraits of players for the team's lineup graphic vs Newcastle pic.twitter.com/cGqC8lqQ0s— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) January 21, 2020
That’ll do it for me today, Mane Landers. Stay safe and warm out there!