Merry Monday morning, Mane Landers! While giving up points in stoppage time is never fun, at least the club brought home one point to keep pace in the playoff race. It always seems quiet the Monday after a match, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t good stuff to start your week. Especially since it’s my birthday week. No, you may not know how old I am. How rude. Let’s get to the links!
Mauricio Pereyra made his first appearance for Orlando City Saturday night against Minnesota United, coming on to start the second half. He also gave his first interview, where he addressed his fitness level, stepping into a new team, his thoughts on the result, and more. Welcome to Orlando, Mauricio!
Despite the disappointing draw for Lions supporters, Minnesota United was quite frustrated most of the night as well. For most of the match, Orlando City slowed down the potent Minnesota United attack and, if not for a pinball-type goal, would have secured three points on the road. While that is hard to take, Orlando City is still just a tiebreaker away from being above the line.
Tragedy in Honduras
Supporters of Olimpia and Motagua clubs in Honduras clashed when Olimpia fans attacked the Motagua team bus, resulting in three dead, and seven shot or stabbed. Additionally, three Motagua players were injured by shards of broken glass. Emilio Izaguirre, Jonathan Rougier, and Roberto Moreira were all transported to a private hospital for medical care. Needless to say, the match has been cancelled, and it is unknown if it will be rescheduled. We all love our clubs, but this is the type of thing that simply should not happen.
Ashley Cole Retires
One of the best left backs to play the game has retired from professional soccer. Ashley Cole started his career with this hometown club, Arsenal, before signing with Chelsea. After eight years in blue, he spent two years with Roma, and then two in MLS with the LA Galaxy. Most recently he made nine appearances for Derby County, but now he’s hanging up his cleats and will work towards his coaching badges. Cole also had 107 caps for England during his international career.
- Former Pride player Monica may be signing with Spanish Primera División side Club Deportivo Tacón.
- Interesting factoid: It’s been over seven years since an English Premier League club had two consecutive matches with an all British/Irish starting XI.
- PSG striker Edinson Cavani will reportedly sign a deal with Inter Miami to play for the club next year.
- Speaking of Inter Miami. I’m not entirely sure that a Wisconsin-based team should be talking smack about flamingos, but I kind of like it.
We don't accept imitations. Unless they're made of plastic. pic.twitter.com/UD7l5TRdml— Forward Madison FC (@ForwardMSNFC) August 18, 2019
- Supporters of the women’s game in the U.S. know the boost that the World Cup has given the league. That boost continued with Sky Blue FC having its biggest crowd ever in a game played at Red Bull Arena.
9,415 in attendance for today’s match at @RedBullArena! We’ve set an all time Sky Blue FC club attendance record today! Thank you fans!— Sky Blue FC (@SkyBlueFC) August 18, 2019
- Deflections off the defense can cause a goalkeeper fits. They can also force a keeper to have to make awkward-looking reaction saves like this one.
That will do it for Monday’s links. Keep checking back for all the news we here at The Mane Land can provide. Hey, Cassius, can we end the article?