What’s up, Mane Landers? It’s another wonderful Friday as we transition from the work week to the weekend. There’s plenty of Orlando soccer ahead of us, although both Orlando City and Orlando City B will be on the road tomorrow while the Orlando Pride take the weekend off. We are also heading into the All-Star Week festivities that will be held right here in Orlando next week so I hope you all are well rested for a wild couple of days. But that’s enough about the future, let’s get to the links.
Orlando City B Parts Ways With Head Coach
Orlando City B Head Coach Fernando Jose De Argila Irurita will no longer be with the club and U-19 Head Coach Roberto Sibaja will take over on an interim basis. While OCB was never expected to be a strong force in the USL League One, the change comes after an eight-game stretch where Orlando hasn’t won a game. The team now heads to Madison, WI to face Forward Madison FC as the Young Lions hope to regroup and put on a good performance.
Orlando City Ready for the Revolution
After a disappointing result last week against the New York Red Bulls, Orlando City has to shift gears as the team travels to face a New England Revolution side that has not lost an MLS game since May 8. However, the last game the Revolution lost was against Orlando in the U.S. Open Cup, so the Lions know how to get it done. With the Revolution in the seventh and final playoff spot and four points ahead of the Lions, this game is a great chance for Orlando to close the gap. For the Revolution, the team is looking for revenge after its Open Cup ousting and looks to tie its club record unbeaten streak of 11 games.
MLS All-Star Captain Revealed
The MLS All-Star fun officially kicks off tomorrow with the MLS WORKS Day of Service, as fans and players will pack 100,000 healthy meals for underserved children and families across the Central Florida area. Then the free All-Star concert starring Prince Royce will take place that night, so make sure to register.
As for the MLS All-Star Game itself, LAFC’s Carlos Vela was voted by fans as captain as he continues his breakneck pace in scoring goals. Vela beat out Nani, Wayne Rooney, and Chris Wondolowski for the honor and will lead his side against Atletico Madrid’s announced roster, which includes Koke and Álvaro Morata.
Tournament Action for MLS Clubs
The very first Leagues Cup between MLS and Liga MX is well underway and the MLS sides are struggling. Only the LA Galaxy advanced in the quarterfinals after winning in penalty kicks against Club Tijuana. The Galaxy will now face Cruz Azul, which comfortably dispatched the Chicago Fire. On the other side of the bracket, Tigres UANL took care of business against Real Salt Lake and Club America edged past the Houston Dynamo so that the two Liga MX sides will meet in the semifinals.
In Canada, the Vancouver Whitecaps were upset by Cavalry, 2-1 and are now eliminated from the Canadian Championship. Cavalry now moves on to the semifinals where the club will face the Montreal Impact, which recently beat York 9. The winner will face Toronto FC if the seven-time champions can win against Ottawa Fury FC.
- Former Lion Kaká stopped by OCSC practice yesterday to chat with players and staff. Hopefully we will see even more of him during the All-Star activities.
- We all knew Pride defender Ali Krieger was good with her feet, but she got to show off her arm throwing out the first pitch at a Washington Nationals game.
- Meanwhile, Ashlyn Harris can hit.
- Check out Dom Dwyer’s playlist and favorite artists that he relies on to get ready to take the field each game.
- The United States Men’s National Team will take on Uruguay in a friendly on Sept. 10 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s skillful goal beat out Jozy Altidore’s back heel for MLS Goal of the Week honors.
- Former Lion Joe Bendik is now with the Philadelphia Union and has embraced the fan base that wasted no time to poke fun at him in the past. Glad to see both sides are enjoying his addition.
- Vincent Tan is looking to sell his 20% share of LAFC, so if you have millions of dollars laying around and want to see Zlatan beat you from a press box, now is your chance. Speaking of owners, James Harden’s celebration of the Houston Dynamo’s goal is great. It’s always nice to see athletes support teams outside of their own.
- A pitch invader stole the show in the Leagues Cup match between Real Salt Lake and Tigres. A cat rushed onto the field to support Tigres (obviously) and made a decent run in on goal.
That will be all from today’s links. I hope you all have a fantastic Friday and a great weekend. Stay safe, hydrated, and happy!