What’s up, Mane Landers? I hope you all enjoyed last night’s game because there is plenty of more soccer to enjoy this weekend. The Orlando SeaWolves are off this week, but Orlando City, the Orlando Pride, Orlando City B, and the USWNT are all in action the next few days. But before we can head to the bar and watch our favorite teams, let’s get to the links!
Joao Moutinho Bouncing Back
After suffering a hamstring injury that kept him sidelined for most of the preseason, left back Joao Moutinho has recovered well with an assist and two starts to his name for Orlando this season. In last week’s loss to D.C. United, Moutinho led all players with 91 touches and Head Coach James O’Connor has been pleased with the production of the 21-year-old defender.
“But since he’s come in, he’s been a breath of fresh air, really. When you look at the ability to get forward, the quality. He had a couple of really good passes, the one where he cuts it back to Dom, as well. We can be pleased with how he’s performed so far and hopefully we can continue that now on Saturday.”
Lions Welcome Rapids to Orlando
Orlando City is ready to bounce back from its loss last week to D.C. United as the club hosts the Colorado Rapids. While Orlando has struggled to find positive results, so have the Rapids as they search for their first win of the season. The Rapids have allowed a whopping 12 goals this season, which is good news for an Orlando offense that has struggled to capitalize on chances and the Rapids have never won against the Lions in MLS play. Regardless, with Kei Kamara on the Rapids’ side it will be far from smooth sailing for Orlando.
Alex Morgan Scores Her 100th USWNT Goal in Win
Alex Morgan scored the first goal of the game and the 100th of her United States Women’s National Team career in the USWNT’s 5-3 victory over Australia. After bringing the ball down and physically beating her defender, Morgan cut to get past Pride teammate Alanna Kennedy and send her shot into the net. It was the USWNT’s only goal in what was a rough first half for the team before it found its groove in the second half, scoring three goals from three different players in just 15 minutes.
Orlando Pride defender Ali Krieger didn’t play in the match, instead riding the bench with fellow Pride teammate Ashlyn Harris. As for Australia, both Emily van Egmond and Kennedy started and played a full 90 minutes.
Orlando Pride Add Depth to Defense
With many defenders assumed to be gone this summer for the FIFA Women’s World Cup, the Orlando Pride traded away a 2020 fourth-round draft pick to the North Carolina Courage for Morgan Reid. The 23-year-old defender was a fourth-round draft pick herself in 2018 and was a starter for Duke University for four years. While she hasn’t earned any minutes in the NWSL quite yet, that could change this season as the Pride will likely lean on her when their stars are playing internationally. Welcome to Orlando, Morgan!
- The Pride announced their list of events leading up to the 2019 season’s start next week, including a kit reveal party and sharing a burger with new coach Marc Skinner at Lion’s Pride.
- Monthly MLS power rankings have Orlando sitting 20th in the league but do note that the Lions are playing better in the first five games than they did in 2018.
- Despite using it to help D.C. United defeat Orlando, Wayne Rooney’s free kick goal did not win MLS Goal of the Week. Instead, the honor went to Alejandro Pozuelo of Toronto FC for his audacious chip in his MLS debut.
- Sporting Kansas City, the last remaining MLS team in the Concacaf Champions Leaue, was thrashed by Monterrey, 5-0 in Mexico.
- Check out these awesome renderings of what FC Cincinnati's stadium will look like once completed.
- Soccer legend Pele is expected to be released from the hospital some time today after being hospitalized for what is believed to be a urinary tract infection.
That’s all from me, folks. Make sure to catch the Orlando City B game against Toronto FC II tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET as well as all of the other soccer action this weekend. Have a great Friday!