Happy Wednesday, Mane Landers. I know I usually say something positive here such as that I hope the week is treating you well. But in all reality, the week back to work after a holiday has a tendency to drag. So here’s hoping you’re all getting through it as we jump into today’s links.
Orlando City Reportedly Made an Offer for German Cano
Reports are surfacing that Orlando submitted a formal transfer offer for Argentine striker German Cano, who scored an incredible 41 goals across all competitions this past year for Independiente Medellin in the top flight Colombian league. The 31-year-old helped Medellin win the 2019 Copa Aguila and secured Medellin a spot in Copa Libertadores next year. It’s no secret that Orlando is in the market for a prolific scorer and Cano could be just the right forward to take pressure off of Dom Dwyer and open up the offense.
Sydney Leroux’s Magazine Cover
Sydney Leroux and little Roux can be found gracing the cover of this January’s Parents magazine. In the feature, Leroux chatted about a significant year that included her returning to the field for the Orlando Pride less than 100 days after the birth of her daughter.
“‘How do you do it?’ is the question I get all the time. You just do,” Leroux Dwyer tells the magazine. “There are days when I’m like, ‘I don’t know how much longer I can do this.’ And then I think, ‘This is absolutely what I was meant to do. I was meant for soccer and motherhood, and I can do both.’”
2019 MLS 22 Under 22
João Moutinho was voted in by fans for the 22 best players under 22. The real list however, as voted on by a panel of experts including MLS media staff, current players, anonymous technical staffers, and league representatives, is revealed in two parts. The rankings between 11-22 came out yesterday, with Mason Toye, James Sands, and Efrain Alvarez as some of the players making the list. We’ll see if any Lions make it when the top 10 is revealed later today.
USMNT’s Tyler Adams Returns to Training
In a bit of good news for the United States Men’s National Team, Tyler Adams has returned to team training with RB Leipzig. Injuries have plagued Adams this year and most seem to revolve around a nagging groin issue. Could his return to good health mean a quick return to the USMNT roster? It’s tough to say at this point but Head Coach Gregg Berhalter is sure to keep a close eye on things.
- Two players, Juan Agudelo and Saad Abdul-Salaam, were selected in Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Draft.
- Lionel Messi hints at retirement after claiming his sixth Ballon D’or.
- Jozy Altidore, Marc Dos Santos, and Matias Almeydda were fined for public criticism by MLS.
- Amazon jokes came in prime time, following the ejection of Mamadou Sakho during the first Premier League match airing on Amazon Prime.
- Real Salt Lake named Freddy Juarez as its head coach.
- Claudio Reyna was introduced as Austin FC’s sporting director.
- The gap between rich and poor clubs has never been wider in Europe.
- Bury Football Club vanished, but staff, players, and supporters refuse to let it be forgotten.
- After he requested a reported $11 million salary, the LA Galaxy’s interest in Edinson Cavani cools down.
Whew, the soccer news keeps coming and we’ll always be here to help sort it all out for you. I do hope the rest of the week is a good one, reader. Stay warm and be safe!