Happy Monday, Mane Landers. At this point, I’m well aware of the day and time, as I have to work today. However, I harbor no shame in admitting that I completely forgot a few days ago and it was glorious. But alas, we have reached Monday. At least this week is broken up by New Year’s festivities though. Let’s power through today, and start with a gander at some juicy links, shall we?
An Orlando Pride Wedding
The wedding between Orlando Pride players Ashlyn Harris and Ali Krieger was a success and the proof is in the pudding or, well, on the tape. A sneak preview from what was described as a beautiful and emotional ceremony has been released by the newlyweds, and whew, the word “beautiful” does this ceremony no justice. I can’t wait to see the full production, and I personally feel lucky to have these role models right here in Orlando. Our community is amazing and supportive and a major reason why I’ve stuck with this incredible team (The Mane Land) for so long. Congratulations, you two!
Inter Miami Reconnaissance
Inter Miami, the club I fully expect to become our bitter rivals, acquired Panamanian National Team captain Román Torres, a 33-year-old defender who was last with the Seattle Sounders. I have to say, I expected bigger news from this club by now. Perhaps they’re holding their cards close to their chest as the season nears?
Well, I can take some of that last bit back, because the latest news on the rumor mill says that, along with New York City FC, Inter Miami is interested in Spanish winger Pedro. This actually scares me considering Pedro is vastly underrated throughout his career playing alongside some of the best like Lionel Messi and Eden Hazard. Keep an eye on this in the coming days for sure.
A Liga MX Final to Remember
I’ve always loved the top tier league in Mexico, regardless of the underwhelming name, and the passion and love for the beautiful game is always on full display. The second leg of the Liga MX final was last night, with Monterrey carrying a 2-1 aggregate deficit against Club America after the first leg. Last night’s game went into extra time and Club America edged Monterrey, 2-1. The teams went to extra time due to being even at 3-3 on aggregate and then the championship went to penalties. Monterrey won the shootout, 4-2, to capture the title.
Christian Pulisic Dealing with Injury
The quick winger was held out of Chelsea’s 2-1 win over Arsenal yesterday due to either a hamstring or groin injury. It’s a soft-tissue injury which, I can tell you from personal experience, can be difficult to return from quickly. Hopefully the American star can find his way back onto the pitch sooner rather than later for the Blues as competition in the squad is already quite stiff and the club’s transfer ban was lifted.
- Are you a fan of MLS celebrations? If not, please proceed to the next Free Kick. If yes, then I have just the thing for you.
- Here’s Pep Guardiola doing Pep Guardiola things as he became the fastest Premier League manager to accrue 100 wins (through 142 matches). The man is good at what he does (although, this season...ouch).
- Borussia Dortmund managed to pull off a major coup, securing the services of Erling Haaland from Redbull Salzberg. The biggest clubs in the world had the Norwegian Striker name on their shortlists.
- Which team do you think had the best decade? I think I have to hand it to Real Madrid after four UEFA Champions League titles.
Which club was the Best of the Decade?— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) December 29, 2019
- Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta wants to hang on to Granit Xhaka, which I totally agree with from an outside perspective.
- Let’s end with some David Moyes news, because David Moyes is never getting good news. This time, well, it’s good and bad. The good? He’s been appointed manager of West Ham on an 18-month deal. The bad? It’s a West Ham side struggling to avoid relegation. This should be fun to watch.
This will be my signing off for the 2019 calendar year. Have a safe and enjoyable (that’s an oxymoron for some of us) New Year’s Eve and I’ll see you in 2020 — specifically Feb. 29!