Happy Sunday, Mane Landers. I did it. I completed all of my holiday shopping. It’s a Christmas miracle (or, well, a miracle in general, as some of the gifts are Hanukkah gifts for family — we’re a diverse bunch). I hope you’re in the same boat, and that you’re happily resting at home, perhaps sipping on some cool-whip-topped hot cocoa. If not, well, you have, like, a day and a half. Hop to it.
Speaking of hopping to it, let’s hop on in to these Links, shall we?
SeaWolves Blasted by the Wave
Folks, it wasn’t a pretty one. The SeaWolves, despite their name, couldn’t withstand the Milwaukee Wave. They drowned in the Wave, really. Luiz Mota and Richard Schmermund both found the back of the net for Orlando, but the SeaWolves were ultimately ran out of the home ground be the Wave, who coasted to an easy 10-2 victory. Orlando remains winless on the season at 0-5.
MLS Free Agents, 2020
Oh, how the times, they are a-changin’. With the 2019 season behind MLS clubs and blank slates before them, management will be tasked with making difficult decisions in attempts to steer their club to glory. A major part of this comes, well, right now in free agency. Notable names, aging stars, “projects,” and the like are all currently sitting in free agency, either waiting for clubs to come knocking or negotiating a new contract. Will the Lions bring anyone in? Have a gander at the free agency list and let us know which names you’d like to see on the back of the famous purple kit.
MLS clubs will need to make haste in securing the signatures of the players that they desire, too, especially when a few clubs have already made major waves.
MLS and Club World Cup?
Liverpool took home the Club World Cup yesterday courtesy of a Bobby Firmino strike late in extra time but some expected Liverpool to dispatch their opponents, Flamengo, without much effort. Now, imagine this: Liverpool vs. Orlando City in the Club World Cup final. I mean, it’s highly unlikely. Near impossible, I get it. But guess what? It’ll be possible moving forward, beginning in 2021.
MLS Club Owners: A Wily Bunch
Have you ever found yourself curious as to who owns each MLS club? Let me quench that insatiable need for information. Spoiler alert: I do not own an MLS club. Yet. Some notable names that are in the ownership class include the most recent addition in Charlotte, David Tepper, Arthur Blank of Atlanta, Matthew McConaughey (minority owner) of Austin FC, and, of course, David Beckham down in Miami. Then there’s Los Angeles FC. Actor Will Ferrell, CEO of Mandalay Entertainment Group, Peter Guber, Los Angeles Lakers legend Magic Johnson, Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan, U.S. Soccer legend Mia Hamm, World Series champion Nomar Garciaparra, and former ESPN analyst Tom Penn are just a few of the owners.
- Toni Pressley, you’re an inspiration for us all. Thank you for being you. Pressley was a flag bearer at the Cure Bowl yesterday,
- Miguel Almiron scored his first goal for Newcastle, and boy, was it an important one as it sealed his club’s 1-0 win in the waning moments. Not too shabby of a strike, either.
MIGGY'S FIRST GOAL pic.twitter.com/NbI12zyzis— NBC Sports Soccer (@NBCSportsSoccer) December 21, 2019
- Tyler Adams made his return to the first 11 for Red Bull Leipzig, with the club winning his first match back against FC Augsburg (I’ve seen them play in person in Augsburg!), 3-1. Welcome back, Tyler!
- D.C. United made the prudent decision to tie down General Manager Dave Kasper to a multi-year deal, which also includes a a new title: senior VP of soccer operations (as well as GM).
- The New England Revolution have acquired 23-year-old Polish striker Adam Buksa, with the Pole set to step into the first team as the club’s third Designated Player.
- Former Lion Amro Tarek has been re-signed by the New York Red Bulls.
- Ajax defender Daley Blind has been diagnosed with a heart condition, “heart muscle inflammation,” though he hopes to return to action soon. What a trooper. Stay safe, Daley
All right folks, that’s it from me today. Enjoy the remainder of your Sunday, get in those last-minute holiday shopping trips, and kick some ass this week! Have a great holiday season, and I’ll see you on the other side.