Happy Sunday, Mane Landers, and welcome to December. The weather is nice, the holiday season is upon us, and the Lions didn’t lose this weekend. Life could be far worse. Let’s just pass on the formalities today and take a dive right into these Links, shall we?
Another MLS Rumor Update: Marquee Names
Who doesn’t love rumors? In this edition of players who are “linked” with moves to MLS clubs, we have a bevy of notable names. Luis Suarez, the Uruguayan striker at Barcelona, is linked with the Seattle Sounders and Inter Miami. Everyone’s favorite Italian, striker Mario Balotelli, is linked with Toronto FC - though apparently he’s interested in MLS in general. Meanwhile, Uruguayan striker Edinson Cavani continues to be linked with Inter Miami, while the LA Galaxy are also rumored to be chasing his signature in hopes of filling the void left by Zlatan’s departure. Mesut Ozil, the German playmaker, is linked with D.C. United and Inter Miami, and Croatian striker Mario Mandzukic is linked with Los Angeles FC and, yet again, Inter Miami. The new Beckham-led club down south is looking to make waves — keep an eye on them. Another one to keep an eye on? Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez, who could have LAFC in his sights. Hopefully, Orlando City can snag another star.
Stay up to date with all the latest City moves this offseason. #VamosOrlando— Orlando City SC (@OrlandoCitySC) November 30, 2019
MLS Coaching Vacancies
With the Lions on the hunt for their own new head coach, MLS has a total of five clubs lacking a man at the helm. The other four clubs, the Chicago Fire, New York City FC, Real Salt Lake, and incoming Inter Miami, are all combing through their candidates in hopes of finding the key to their puzzle. As we reported previously, the Lions have reportedly been heavily targeting Oscar Pareja. Meanwhile, Inter Miami could be targeting former NYCFC head coach Patrick Vieira, while also keeping tabs on recently sacked Mauricio Pochettino. NYCFC may bring on Giovanni van Bronckhorst full time, but hasn’t committed quite yet. Former Lions gaffer Jason Kreis appeared to be a top candidate for Real Salt Lake’s vacant head coach or general manager posts — possibly both — but as previously reported, those talks broke down. There will be movement, the questions are who, when, and where?
Orlando SeaWolves Add Team Store
Have you been looking to add to your Orlando soccer gear cache? If so, I’ve got good news for you; the SeaWolves now have an official online team store. Merchandise like shirts, hoodies, and hats are already available, and there’s sure to be more added soon. I’ll be adding a hoodie or two to my closet — especially with the cooler weather finally rolling in for us.
Just in time for your holiday shopping our online store is open for business! Jerseys, shirts, hoodies, hats, and more! New products will be added weekly! Visit https://t.co/fNl3DYiACq and shop today! #RunWithThePack #SeaWolvesSwag pic.twitter.com/wmxVDiK8Du— Orlando SeaWolves (@MCOSeaWolves) November 30, 2019
MLS vs. Liga MX 2020: Projections
On July 29, 2020, something special will occur: an all-star match between North America’s top leagues in MLS and Liga MX. The match isn’t close to kickoff, but that didn’t stop some of the folks over at MLS from looking ahead to the possibilities of different rosters and players who could feature in the much anticipated clash. The analysts are making their assessments and judgments based upon today’s players, form, injuries, etc., so it’s moot, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun to look forward to what’s destined to be an intense (but hopefully still friendly) encounter.
- A Free Kick about free kicks: what a time to be alive. Check out MLS’s best from 2019.
- FC Dallas is reportedly close to signing Thiago Santos, a 30-year-old Brazilian defensive midfielder who currently plays for Palmeiras of the Brazilian top flight.
- Meanwhile, up north, Thierry Henry is drawing out his plans to bring in some talented players to Montreal. We’ve got our eye on you, Thierry.
- The UCF men had their season end last night in heartbreaking fashion, as the Knights lost 2-1 in overtime to SMU in the Sweet 16.
- An American abroad playing in Germany’s third tier, Hallescher striker Terrence Boyd, well, go ahead and take a bow, sir.
Terrence Boyd's 89th-minute winner in the German 3rd division is the best goal you'll see this weekend. ☄️ pic.twitter.com/jg1FHicwOQ— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) November 30, 2019
- Former Atlanta United FC midfielder and current Newcastle United FC player Miguel Almiron finally notched a Premier League assist and it couldn’t have been any more important, coming at the end of a 2-2 draw against heavily favored Manchester City FC.
- The UEFA Euro 2020 is right around the corner, and we now know the groups. That group F draw...wow. As for the “favorites,” well, England it is.
- And to end, the Jurgen Klinsmann era at Hertha Berlin is off to a shaky start, as the club lost his first match in charge to Borussia Dortmund, 2-1.
All right folks, that’s all I’ve got for you today. Enjoy the day and then have an excellent week!