How’s it going, Mane Landers? I hope your weekend is going well as we start our Sunday off right with some links from around the soccer world. But before we get started, today is the five-year anniversary of The Mane Land (once an independent free WordPress blog) joining SB Nation. While I’ve only been here for the past three years, I’d like to thank all of you readers and my fellow staff for making this such a great community to be a part of. Let’s make it another great five years!
Ruan Excited for 2019 Season
Now signed with Orlando City for two years after spending his first year on loan, defender Ruan sat down to talk about his future as a Lion. One of the quickest players in the league, Ruan is a threat on both sides of the ball and wants to improve on offense next year. The 24-year-old had four assists this past year and looks to build upon that in 2019 and help the Orlando offense score more while on the field to give supporters plenty to cheer about.
OCSC Recaps, Reports, and Rumors
Orlando City notably declined the options of many players, keeping a strong core of players while giving whoever the new head coach will be some room to work with once they take over. Speaking of the future head coach, leading candidate Oscar Pareja’s Club Tijuana was eliminated from postseason contention which means he could join Orlando City rather soon if he is indeed Luiz Muzzi’s man for the job. In other coaching news, former New York City FC Head Coach Dome Torrent was contacted by several MLS teams. While not officially linked with Orlando City by any means, there are only so many teams looking for head coaches.
As for those who won’t be with the team next year, it will be interesting to see where recently departed Lions will wind up and Andrew Wiebe of MLSsoccer.com thinks veteran Sacha Kljestan could be a difference maker elsewhere in the league.
Big Names Linked with MLS
With both Wayne Rooney and Zlatan Ibrahimovic no longer in the league, some big names could swoop in to fill the void. Inter Miami is the most popular destination tossed around as the new club is surely in the market for star power, with Mario Mandzukic, Mesut Ozil, and Edinson Cavani as some of the players who could make their way to Florida. Mario Balotelli is the latest player tempted to make the move to MLS and Luis Suarez had plenty to say about how enticing MLS is although he is committed to FC Barcelona for the time being.
Changes to Orlando SeaWolves’ Schedule
In the Major Arena Soccer League, MetroStars Canada ceased operations which necessitated massive changes to the league schedule. The league worked fast and ensured that each team still get 12 home games and 12 away games to keep everything fairly balanced. Make sure to check out the SeaWolves new schedule, with the soonest change coming on Dec. 7 when the team now must travel to take on the Baltimore Blast.
- Nani’s memorable goal at home against the New England Revolution was featured in this compilation of great curling goals from this past season.
- Sporting Kansas City is reportedly interested in Canadian center forward Lucas Cavallini, who scored against the U.S. this October.
- Speaking of the U.S., midfielder Julian Green injured his knee and is expected to be out for at least a month.
- In English Premier League action, Manchester City got a needed win over Chelsea and Jose Mourinho led Tottenham to victory against West Ham. But Liverpool kept the pressure on every other team in the league after beating Crystal Palace.
- 2019 Florida Cup Champion Flamengo added more silverware to its haul this year after beating River Plate to claim the Copa Libertadores for the first time in 38 years and qualify for the FIFA Club World Cup next month in Qatar.
That will do it for me, Mane Landers. I hope you all enjoy your Sunday festivities and recharge the batteries before tomorrow.