How’s it going, Mane Landers? The weekend is here and hopefully it is a relaxing time for you all. I’m taking my parents out to brunch today and then hitting up an aquarium so I’m pretty excited for pancakes and puffer fish today. No matter what you have planned, hopefully it is smooth sailing for you. Now, let’s get to the links!
MLS Playoff Picture Clears Up
In case you missed it, Orlando City midfielder Sacha Kljestan helped recap the playoff action this week and weighed in on the final four teams remaining in the playoffs. LAFC won one of the highest scoring MLS playoff games ever in a 5-3 victory over the LA Galaxy that absolutely lived up to expectations. Carlos Vela triumphed over Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but is focused entirely on winning the MLS Cup and LAFC now faces a Seattle Sounders side that clinched a spot in the Concacaf Champions’ League and is no stranger to big games.
In the other match, the two most recent champions square off. Atlanta United Head Coach Frank De Boer believes his team is strengthening, Josef Martinez is hungry for more goals, and Pity Martinez proved his worth in Atlanta’s 2-0 win over the Philadelphia Union. Atlanta hosts a Toronto FC team that will be an underdog, but has a secret weapon in former Orlando City player Richie Laryea.
Eliminated Teams Making Moves for 2020
The Galaxy couldn’t get it done against LAFC, and now Zlatan’s future in MLS is the biggest question mark for the team and young forward Uriel Antuna could head out to Benfica. The Philadelphia Union had a strong season despite the loss and looks to stay in reach of the MLS elite next year. The Portland Timbers will sign a right winger, the Vancouver Whitecaps are on the hunt for a big signing, and Minnesota United declined five player options for 2020. Also, FC Cincinnati goalkeeper Spencer Richey will train for 10 days with Crystal Palace and General Manager Gerard Nijkamp detailed the club’s approach to the off-season.
Sam Kerr Wins NWSL MVP
Australian international and Chicago Red Stars forward Sam Kerr won her second NWSL MVP award after a dominant season. Kerr won the Golden Boot after scoring 18 goals this year and helped the Red Stars reach the NWSL Championship that takes place tomorrow against the North Carolina Courage. The 26-year-old thanked her teammates for their efforts this season and Kerr’s focus is on the upcoming match. In the match, Kerr faces off against NWSL MVP finalist Debinha, who has had an incredible year as well, but Kerr also has finalist Yuki Nagasato supporting her in the midfield.
United States Soccer Updates
U.S. Soccer will announce the new head coach for the United States Women’s National Team on Monday, Oct. 28 at 4 p.m. ET. All signs point to Reign FC Head Coach Vlatko Andonovski for the job, but the press conference should still be worth tuning in to watch.
On the men’s side of things, Gregg Berhalter weighed in on Sergino Dest’s upcoming decision and the loss to Canada. Meanwhile, Tab Ramos is officially stepping down as U.S. Men’s Youth Technical Director to coach the Houston Dynamo and the U-17 World Cup starts today with the U.S. in action tomorrow.
Also, make sure to check out this handy guide to watch your favorite American players abroad this weekend.
- Ruan, former Lion Miguel Gallardo, and others got together for a game of air soccer. I didn’t know that this game had an actual name, to be honest.
.@migallardo01 and @jennyachiu had a few Air Soccer challengers roll up at Exploria Stadium today. ️⚽️ #VamosOrlando pic.twitter.com/6V60UhEyVE— Orlando City SC (@OrlandoCitySC) October 25, 2019
- Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil could make a move to MLS according to reports, with D.C. United and Inter Miami as possible landing spots.
- NBA star Kevin Durant is interested in owning a part of D.C. United and has tried twice to no avail.
- A second C License course is being offered for free to a group of NWSL players. No Pride players are on the list, but former Pride players Jasmyne Spencer and Christine Nairn will take the course.
- The USL Championship playoffs start today, with eight games throughout the day. It’s a good chance to check out future MLS clubs Nashville SC and Sacramento Republic FC as both are in the postseason.
- Here is a really fun read on some of the out-of-position skills certain players have around the world, such as David Luiz’s scoring ability and right winger Jadon Sancho’s strong right foot.
- Sixth-division referees in Berlin are going on strike this weekend due to increased levels of violence.
- We end our links with Bob Bradley’s refusal to answer a question about Vela’s performance in big games.
I generally like Bob Bradley as a professional (and a human), but it's a little rich to tell @SebiSalazarFUT to "get lost" & storm off when he asks an informed — almost obvious — question about Carlos Vela, who has long been criticized for his performances in big matches. Woof. pic.twitter.com/phvfEnOlZc— Pablo Maurer (@MLSist) October 25, 2019
That’ll be it from me today. I hope each and every one of you have a fantastic weekend and recharge your batteries before Monday rolls back around. Now, get lost! I mean, go Orlando!