Hello and happy Friday, Jr. The first week of Orlando City’s 2019 preseason is wrapping up. It might not be the most enjoyable part of the year for fans, but it’s one of the most important in getting the culture of the team down. I hope everyone is having a great week, and if not it’s almost over.
Now for some links.
Orlando City Goalkeeper Battle
As has been widely expected, the Lions are opening up the preseason with a battle for the first choice ‘keeper spot. Mason Stajduhar, Adam Grinwis, and Greg Ranjitsingh are the three ‘keepers that James O’Connor will have at his disposal to start the year, and the three will fight to get the starting nod.
Personally, I would love to see Stajduhar in net. After everything that he has been through in the past few years, it would be amazing to see him the starter in Orlando. The 21-year-old signed as a Homegrown Player in 2015, missed all of last year with bone cancer and finished treatment in June. Of course, O’Connor has to go with the best player and not for the good story.
Landon Donovan Comes Out of Retirement...Again
The United States Men’s National Team’s all-time leading goal scorer is set to come out of retirement for the third time. This time he will be joining the San Diego Sockers, which play in the Major Arena Soccer League. Unfortunately, for all of the Orlando SeaWolves fans, the Sockers do not come to Florida during the regular season.
USL League One is Preparing for Its First Season
The league’s inaugural season is just over two months away now, going from March 29 to Oct. 5. Orlando City B plays its first game on Saturday, March 30. It has been a long process to get this far for the league as a whole. All those involved are excited to start the season and to continue to build and expand USL League One in the coming years.
“What we’ve learned is how far our game really reaches,” said Senior Vice President Steven Short. “We had a chance to sit down with fans in 40-plus markets, have a beer with them, talk about what they want in a team, and build a league from the ground-up. For us to do that on our journey across the country is something special that we’ll always remember.”
Orlando City eMLS Results
If you are into watching other people play video games, you’ll definitely want to check out how Abe Valbuena did for Orlando City. He did not place particularly well, going 4-3-4, but it sure is a great sight seeing Lionel Messi in an Orlando City jersey.
- Three SeaWolves made honorable mention for the MASL Team of the Week.
- If you didn’t know this already, Tim Weah is good at soccer. The youngster now has two goals in as many games on loan for Celtic.
- Jesse Lingard is also good at soccer, but this video of him off the field might be even better than his skills on the field.
- David Beckham bought a stake in Salford City, a fifth-tier English team. Others on this club’s ownership board include Ryan Giggs, Phil Neville, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes, and Gary Neville.
- Ex-USL Lion Giuseppe Gentile signed with Hartford Athletic.
- FC Cincinnati continues to add to its roster. This time the club added Caleb Stanko from Bundesliga club SC Freiburg.
- Sacramento Republic got a new investor in its hopes of becoming MLS’ newest expansion side.