How’s it going, Mane Landers? It’s Friday, the best day of the week! Well, the best day except for game day, and this weekend we have two of those. So today’s the third-best day of the week, which is still pretty good I think. So let’s kick off this Friday the right way with some Lion Links!
Uri Rosell Pleased After First Orlando City Minutes
Perhaps the last missing piece for Orlando City, defensive midfielder Oriol “Uri” Rosell was able to take the field for the first time this season when Orlando defeated the San Jose Earthquakes last week. Despite coming on late in the 84th minute of the match, Rosell is happy with the playing time after being unable to play for weeks thanks to a nagging knee injury. Although a start isn’t guaranteed this Sunday when the Lions travel to take on the Colorado Rapids, expect to see much more of Rosell in the future as he works his way into the team.
Orlando Pride Players Excited to Return to Orlando
Things are coming together at the right time for the Orlando Pride, with many players returning from international duty right after the Pride won their first game of the NWSL season last weekend against the Houston Dash. Brazilian superstar and Pride forward Marta was one of many players happy to be back in Orlando.
Also joining to the club is Australian midfielder Emily van Egmond, who the Pride signed back in February this off-season. Van Egmond has spent most of April playing for her country in the AFC Women’s Asian Cup, but is now excited to train with the Pride and enjoy the warmer weather that Orlando has to offer.
Testing new waters with the Pride. pic.twitter.com/EplCl4g7UV— Orlando Pride (@ORLPride) April 26, 2018
Marky Delgado Takes Blame For Toronto FC’s Loss
Toronto FC midfielder Marky Delgado is taking responsibility for his club’s defeat in the Concacaf Champions League final against Chivas. Toronto won the match, 2-1, but the aggregate score was 3-3, forcing the series to go to penalty kicks, where Chivas won, 4-2. Delgado believes he is to blame for not putting away a sitter off a Sebastian Giovinco pass in the 91st minute, but I disagree. Sure, scoring would’ve likely won Toronto the tie, but Delgado was able to redeem himself in my eyes in the shootout when he buried his penalty. Keep your head high Marky, you and the rest of the team did well in the tournament and you shouldn’t beat yourself up about a close loss.
Albert Rusnak Wins Goal of the Week
Real Salt Lake playmaker Albert Rusnak has claimed the title of Goal of the Week for his curling free kick against the Colorado Rapids. Feigning a cross, Rusnak was able to fool goalkeeper Zac MacMath and bury his strike in the back of the net before MacMath knew what hit him. Hopefully Orlando can do something similar against MacMath with Tim Howard sidelined after his red card last week.
- Orlando City center back Amro Tarek seems to be getting along well with his defensive partner Lamine Sané, offering the French-born player a little help with reporters.
- You can win one of those sweet Earth Day Parley kits, signed by Orlando City players.
- The Houston Dynamo signed 24-year-old Swedish defender Adam Lundqvist to strengthen their aging back line.
- New York City FC Head Coach Patrick Vieira says he is ready for a move to European football.
- United States President Donald Trump weighed in on the U.S.’ joint 2026 World Cup bid, hoping for full support from countries around the world to bring the best sporting event on the planet to North America.
The U.S. has put together a STRONG bid w/ Canada & Mexico for the 2026 World Cup. It would be a shame if countries that we always support were to lobby against the U.S. bid. Why should we be supporting these countries when they don’t support us (including at the United Nations)?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 26, 2018
- In its first go at televising the FIFA World Cup, FOX Sports is slashing its budget and keeping a majority of its commentators in Los Angeles. But hey, at least whatever commentators they send to Russia will get a fancy set to talk on.
- After a collective 90 hours stretched over 30 sessions, a Flamengo fan has tattooed a jersey on the entirety of his upper body. He better hope the club doesn’t release a new kit or else he’ll just look silly.
That’s all for today folks. I hope your NFL team made out well in last night’s draft. Enjoy your Friday, Mane Landers!