Merry Monday morning, Mane Landers! Between the start of the MLS season and the SheBelieves Cup, it was quite a weekend of soccer.
Orlando City vs. D.C. United Reactions
You’ve already read the Five Takeaways from our own Ben Miller, but there were others who watched our Lions as well. The folks over at ProSoccerUSA had three things they learned, although there was some overlap. MLSsoccer.com gave some love to our favorite keeper, Joe Bendik, and his monster save on the penalty kick. Stéfano Pinho’s goal to salvage a point for Orlando City was also recognized, along with the controversial calls that made things so tough on the Lions all night.
USWNT Draws with France
The U.S. Women’s National Team was coming off a short turnaround and was unable to finish off a French squad that fell to England, 4-1, earlier in the tournament. Mallory Pugh put the U.S. up 1-0 in the 35th minute, but that lead was short lived as France equalized in the 39th minute. The U.S. will have a chance to win the SheBelieves Cup on Wednesday in Orlando City Stadium when the team plays its final match against England.
U.S. Women Continue to Fight for Equal Pay
Two years ago, the players on the USWNT began a fight for equal pay. Given that they’ve won the World Cup and the men’s team hasn’t sniffed one, it’s not something that should be dismissed. Additionally, other women’s teams from around the world have started asking for advice as they start looking for financial equality. In case you missed it, the players of the Gold Medal-winning U.S. Women’s Hockey Team was at the SheBelieves Cup match on Sunday. It’s not going to happen overnight, but it’s a fight worth fighting.
Dutch Supporters Attack
It seems that scores of hooligans attacked players from Dutch second-division side De Graafschap during a match against Go Ahead Eagles. Initially, security was able to hold back the fans, but a second wave broke through. Both sides deplore the actions of a few fans.
- Justin Meram had the best tweet following his first match in purple.
Letting last night fully sink in.... well all I can say is Wow. What an atmosphere that was. Emotional but with a lot of excitement. Thanks to the fans who stayed loud all 90+ mins helping us get a result down a man. I won’t ever forget my first game in purple— Justin Meram (@JustinMeram) March 4, 2018
- Seems like the players who didn’t dress for the game enjoyed Pinho’s goal like the rest of us.
- Fiorentina captain Davide Astori passed away suddenly. Rest in peace.
- Dutch midfielder Wesley Sneijder has retired from International play after 15 years and 133 appearances for the Netherlands.
- Famous Birthdays for today include: actress Eva Mendes (44), rugby player Dan Carter (36), guitarist John Frusciante (4), magician Penn Jillette (63), Dallas Cowboys great Michael Irvin (52), actor Paul Blackthorne (49), and singer Andy Gibb (1958-1988).
That’s going to do it for the start of the week. Rejoice, because we have started the new MLS season and there is a reason to look forward to the weekends even more. Go City!