What a wonderful Wednesday morning, Mane Landers! Here we are midway through the week, and there’s so much soccer! It’s such a great problem to have. As I said on the PawedCast, I expected the USMNT to most likely fall to a Peru squad that made the World Cup. I did end up being disappointed, but not for the reason I thought.
USMNT Draws Peru, 1-1
With the exception of Brad Guzan starting in goal, and Michael Bradley coming in late in the match, Dave Sarachan decided to play the youngsters at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, CT last night. The Yanks took on a Peru National Team that decided Orlando City’s Yoshimar Yotún would sit on the bench to start the match. Peru generally looked like the better side, had more total shots, and better passing. What they didn’t have was a Josh Sargent goal in the 49th minute off a free kick. Unfortunately, the Peruvian pressure finally broke through in the 86th minute, and Los Incas tied the match, 1-1. The Yanks played a good Peru squad, and came away with a result. Not too shabby, lads.
Pierre Da Silva Undergoes Season-Ending Surgery
It’s that time of the season when fans are rightly calling for the team to play the youngsters, given that there’s not much more to play for this year. Unfortunately, one of those youngsters will not be available. Pierre Da Silva underwent successful surgery for a torn meniscus in his left knee, and will miss the remainder of the season because of it. It had been announced back on Oct. 3 that Da Silva would be missing significant time because he was battling a knee injury, and now we know how bad it really was. James O’Connor is hopeful Da Silva will be available for the start of the 2019 season.
Pride Players Heading Down Under
Christine Nairn and Dani Weatherholt have both signed with W-League side Melbourne Victory FC, making it seven Pride players heading to Australia for the off-season. This will be Nairn’s fourth year with the Victory, where she’s even received W-League Player of the Week honors. Conversely, Weatherholt will be making her W-League debut for the Victory. Nairn has been an integral part of the Victory’s midfield and a leader on the squad. Weatherholt brings a bit of attacking style for a defensive midfielder to complement Nairn. Head Coach Jeff Hopkins is very happy to have the Americans on his team. Good luck to both, and please stay healthy.
El Tri Taking Tata...Allegedly
In what could be great news for those that don’t like Atlanta United, and bad news for USMNT fans, Azteca Deportes is reporting that Gerardo “Tata” Martino will be named the new Mexico National Team head coach. Of course, the reason the announcement is being delayed might have to do with the fact that Atlanta United FC has made the MLS playoffs, and the parties are wanting to keep up appearances. While we may not enjoy that Martino has done an excellent job in Atlanta, it is in fact the truth. Everything is supposed to be made official in early December.
- U.S. Soccer supporters were hoping for changes following the loss to Trinidad & Tobago last October. The people at 26x26 are actually doing something about it — $30 million worth of something. Basically, 26 community soccer fields by 2026.
- I hope everyone appreciates the job done by Dave Sarachan as the interim head coach of the USMNT. He may be considered for the job in a more permanent capacity, but most would not take that bet. Sarachan has been shepherding the transition from the old to the new, and he’s done it with class. Regardless of who the next head coach is, Sarachan deserves our thanks.
- The Thai soccer team that was rescued from a cave were guests on The Ellen Show. What they didn’t expect was Zlatan Ibrahimovic to show up and surprise them.
- Since many of you live in the Orlando area, you might be interested to know that the UCF Women’s soccer team has cracked the United Soccer Coaches Top 25, at No. 24.
- Usain Bolt’s soccer career is moving almost as fast as he runs. Offers have started coming in from Europe for the former World’s Fastest Man.
I know it wasn’t my usual day, so thank you for joining me this morning. Plenty of soccer tonight with both the USWNT and Orlando City playing this evening. Check back for all you need to know about both of those matches. Go Lions, and go Yanks!