Merry Monday morning, Mane Landers! Well, I don’t know about you but I hope you had a great weekend. We did get to see a new-look USMNT in action for the first time, which was exciting, and there were the other odd stories here and there. Regardless, here are the links for your enjoyment.
USMNT Draws Bosnia and Herzegovina, 0-0
The USMNT had a different look as they took on Bosnia and Herzegovina in the first friendly of 2018. This is the year that all we have to look forward to is friendlies. This is the first time we’ve seen some of these youngsters, and it is long overdue. In the end, it was the kind of sloppy 0-0 draw you’d expect from two inexperienced sides playing a January friendly.
Kaká Comes Out of Retirement (Sort of)
He might have retired but that doesn’t mean he can’t still score some goals. The former Orlando City captain put on a Barcelona SC (of Ecuador) jersey and scored a brace in a match against Peru’s Sport Boys this past weekend. It was an opportunity for the former World Player of the Year to show off that he still has what it takes. In a limited fashion. Barcelona won the exhibition, 6-2.
Boston Breakers Officially Done
We knew it was coming but the rumors of local saviors continued until yesterday when the Boston Breakers officially folded and ceased operations. This is potentially a blow to the NWSL, as it will continue to try and establish itself as a viable league in the U.S. Fortunately, we still have the Pride here in Orlando. The Pride, and all nine NWSL sides will play every opponent three times in the 2018 season. The schedule should come out shortly now that the Boston situation is resolved. The Breakers’ roster will be up for grabs in an NWSL dispersal draft on Tuesday.
Beckham Says Miami is Stronger
David Beckham’s Miami soccer team has had to wait for legitimacy for years. And with that acceptance just around the corner (an announcement is coming today), Mr. Beckham has decided to come out and talk in public about the situation. Let’s see what the heck happens!
- Sky Sports will broadcast Orlando City’s first match of the season in the the U.K. This is a great way for those that live across the pond to have a chance to check out the Lions.
- The U-20 USWNT already clinched a U-20 World Cup berth but failed to win the CONCACAF Championship. Mexico and the U.S. played to a 1-1 draw through 120 minutes before the Mexicans won a penalty shootout, 4-2.
- Have you wondered what the preseason schedule looks like for every team in MLS? Well, regardless, here it is. Have fun.
- Evidently, Orlando City is not linked with every transfer rumor. Oh well.
- Famous birthdays on this date include Oprah Winfrey (63), Harriet Tubman (1820-1913), Adam Lambert (35). Magnum P.I. actor Tom Selleck (72), Heather Graham (47), actor Justin Hartley (40), actor Sara Gilbert (42), President William McKinley (1843-1901), philosopher Thomas Paine (1736-1809), and John D. Rockefeller Jr. (1874-1960).
That’s going to do it for this edition of Lion Links. We hope you got to watch the new-look USMNT, and we are eagerly waiting for the new-look Orlando Ciry SC. Vamos Orlando!