Merry Monday morning, Mane Landers! It seems that as we get closer to the start of the season, the news tidbits are picking up. Unfortunately, the Jacksonville Jaguars were not able to hold off the New England Patriots, but we still congratulate them on a great season. We were also able to get a soccer fix thanks to a USWNT friendly. Speaking of, let’s get to the Links!
USWNT Dominates Denmark
The USWNT took on Denmark in its first match of 2018. Despite Denmark getting the first goal, the U.S. stormed back quickly on goals from Alex Morgan and Julie Ertz. The two of them have seemingly picked up right where they left off in 2017. Alex has continued her scoring bonanza, and Ertz always seems to be in the right spot. Mallory Pugh was on fire all game, and only seconds into the second half she took the ball and decided she didn’t need anyone else to get the next U.S. goal, beating two defenders and the keeper. She wasn’t done as she added another in the 65th minute to get the brace. Crystal Dunn would add another goal, and the U.S. would go on to win the match 5-1.
The Circus Continues
Cyle Larin was seen in a Besiktas jersey and getting a physical. Shortly after that, it was thought that if he did sign with Besiktas, he’d immediately be loaned out. It’s been quite the circus surrounding Orlando City’s young striker, but now with the Besiktas move seemingly not a thing, the focus has shifted to Superleague team Olympiacos in Greece, although we take this source with a grain of salt. But geez, Cyle, is Orlando really that bad?
Seeing Cyle Larin trying to move to Olympiacos now. If Olympiacos pay Orlando (which it seems like they will) that wouldn't be a bad spot for him.— MLS Transfers (@MLSTransfers) January 21, 2018
International Lions News
As we learned from the interview from Niki Budalic on the most recent The Mane Land PawedCast, Orlando City has several international players that might be acquiring green cards soon. It would seem that one of those is Victor “PC” Giro, which would certainly help the Lions free up some international spots.
Victor PC Giro tells me he’s in the process of acquiring a green card, which will free up an international slot for Orlando City. He spent the whole offseason back home in Brazil.— Mike Gramajo (@byMikeGramajo) January 21, 2018
Additionally, Orlando City’s newest defender, Mohamed El-Munir, is on his way to Orlando. Well, he’s coming eventually. International signings always take longer with all the hurdles involved, including securing visas. It might be a bit more difficult as El-Munir is from Libya, but don’t fear, Orlando City fans, he’ll get here in time.
Mohamed El-Munir has not arrived to the United States yet, told by Orlando City PR that they’re working on getting his Visa. Timeline on his arrival is unknown due to paperwork process. @ProSoccerUSAcom— Mike Gramajo (@byMikeGramajo) January 21, 2018
New Lions, Winning Mindset
There are going to be a lot of new faces donning the purple this coming season. Sacha Kljestan, Mohamed El-Munir, Stéfano Pinho, Chris Mueller, Cam Lindley, Adam Grinwis, Josué Colmán, RJ Allen, and Jose Villarreal all join the Lions this season, and that might not even be all the new additions. That being said, the new guys say they are ready to bring a winning attitude to Orlando City Stadium, and hope to take the Lions to the promised land. Here’s hoping they rise to the occasion.
- Despite having only one draft pick, Orlando City did well to secure Chris Mueller. How did that compare to the rest of the league and their draft picks?
- Former Orlando City Academy graduate Noah Franke was drafted by FC Dallas with the 80th pick.
- In the 2018 CONCACAF Women’s U-20 Championship, the U.S. moved on to the semifinals after defeating Jamaica, 2-1. Next, the team will face Mexico tomorrow at 3 p.m. to finish out its group play before the next round.
- Memphis Depay puts in such a stunner that PSG’s keeper doesn’t even react. Lyon wins, 2-1.
Memphis Depay just broke PSG hearts in spectacular fashion! pic.twitter.com/GIkRNkI40c— Goal (@goal) January 21, 2018
- USMNT midfielder Emerson Hyndman is reported to be joining Sunderland on loan from Bournemouth in the English Premier League.
- Yamil Asad probably won’t be back in Atlanta next season, given that his loan deal expired and Atlanta United FC has brought in Ezequiel Barco. That being said, there are many teams interested in acquiring Asad, including Minnesota United FC.
- It seems that Brandon Bye was so excited to be drafted by the New England Revolution, that he forgot he was drafted by the New England Revolution.
- Watford is blaming Everton for its bad run of form after the Toffees made a play for Watford skipper, Marco Silva. Watford has won only one of its last 11 matches. As such, it has decided to sack Silva since the slide coincided with the Everton overture.
- Famous Birthdays today include Chef Guy Fieri (49), legendary Journey frontman Steve Perry (68), prolific actor John Hurt (1940-2017), actress Diane Lane (52), Irish footballer Shane Long (30), the King of Soul, Sam Cooke (1931-1964), The Exorcist actress Linda Blair (58), DJ Jazzy Jeff (52), Guns and Roses drummer Steve Adler (52), INXS lead singer Michael Hutchinson (1960-1997), and TV’s original Flash, John Wesley Shipp (62).
- Finally, congratulations to former OCSC player Harrison Heath, and former Pride player Kaylyn Kyle on their expected arrival.
❤️ Baby Heath coming June 2018 ❤️ pic.twitter.com/710CKWCx8J— Kaylyn Kyle (@KaylynKyle) January 21, 2018
And on that happy bit of news, we wish you a great week! Keep checking in with The Mane Land for all the soccer news you can handle.