Merry Monday morning, Mane Landers! Well I assume it is, since I’m writing this while waiting for Irma to come bearing down on me in Tallahassee. The good news is that for the first time in months, I get to write this after an Orlando City win. Feels good doesn’t it?
Following the Lions win Saturday night, the team was unable to travel back to Orlando because of Hurricane Irma. Many of the players have friends and family riding the storm out in Orlando while they arrived in Atlanta to wait and see how events unfold in both cities. Atlanta has been very helpful under the circumstances, offering up its facilities for the Lions to train. The Lions weren’t the only Florida team to get help from Atlanta United. The USF men’s soccer team also found itself stuck in the area, and is making use of Atlanta’s hospitality.
Another Larin Rumor
Cyle Larin scored a goal against D.C. United, and the very next day, we have a transfer rumor. Figures. It seems that Leeds United of the EFL Championship League (the one right below the Premier League), is raising money to try and bring the striker to England. This is just a rumor, and if anything was to come to pass, it would be during the January transfer window. It hasn’t been the first rumor surrounding Larin, nor will it be the last. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens.
Manchester City Signs Young American
Erik Palmer-Brown is the latest young American to go ply his trade in Europe, after signing with Premier League side, Manchester City. The center back has been on loan with Swope Park Rangers from Sporting Kansas City, and has played on U.S. Youth National Teams. There were several other European clubs interested in Palmer-Brown, including Paris Saint-Germain and Ajax. Palmer-Brown will join his new club after his contract with SKC runs out this year.
SKC’s Peter Vermes Next USMNT Coach?
After a hot start, the USMNT has had less success in recent matches, and with Bruce Arena’s contract only good through the World Cup, the rumor mill has started churning. Sporting KC Head Coach Peter Vermes is a name that cropped up and, given that U.S. Soccer is opening a training facility in conjunction with Sporting Kansas City, it was probably inevitable that Vermes would get some attention. For his part, Vermes denies any such move and gives his wholehearted support to Bruce Arena.
- This is the perfect response to someone that doesn’t understand the appeal of soccer. Poor sucker, can’t appreciate the beautiful game.
- Numerous charitable foundations have donated fields, uniforms, cleats, and other gear to allow Syrian refugee children to play the beautiful game while in exile in Jordan.
- This is why we should be on our best behavior as fans. Even water bottles can be dangerous.
- The first female to referee in a top league is Bibiana Steinhaus in the Bundesliga. Congrats from us at The Mane Land.
- FIFA ‘18 has released the rankings for 80 of the top 100 players in the game. We only how have wait for the top 20.
That’s going to do it for the Hurricane Irma edition of Lion Links. Be kind to each other, and let’s pull things back together after this storm.