Welcome to a new month, Mane Landers! It is going to be a very long one, so I certainly hope you are all ready for the chaos that is bound to ensue. Let’s get this month started off on a positive note with these fresh from the oven Lion Links.
OCB and Bethlehem Steel Play to 1-1 Draw
In a game that started slowly but picked up in the final stages, Orlando City B drew with Bethlehem Steel FC, 1-1 to stretch its unbeaten streak to 12. Pierre Da Silva scored in the 75th minute to give OCB the lead, but the celebrations didn’t last long as Bethlehem equalized in the 87th minute thanks to a goal by Marcus Epps. The young Lions will be back in action on Sept. 7 as they host the Richmond Kickers.
The Men In Blazers Deliver on Dom Pod
It has finally dropped, everyone. The much anticipated Men in Blazers Podcast with our very own Dom Dwyer has finally hit the interwebs. I do not want to spoil anything, so just click below and give it a listen.
Speaking of Dom, When Will He Score?
Coach Jason Kreis certainly hopes Dom Dwyer opens his account this weekend. Dwyer will be the main target up top, with the absence of Cyle Larin due to a Canadian Men’s National Team call-up. Coach Kreis didn’t want to put too much “undue pressure” on Dwyer to score his first MLS goal as a Lion, but I think we all need him to score. I’m not sure how much longer we as fans can go without singing our “HE SCORES WHEN HE WANTS” chant.
Marta Knows the Key to Long-Term Success
Confidence. Confidence. Confidence. Marta said this week that it was confidence, and knowing that a playoff berth was in the Pride’s own hands, that has been the biggest takeaway from the Orlando Pride’s four-match win streak. It is extremely evident when you watch as well, as the chemistry of the team is at a level not seen before this season.
High Praise for Pulisic
Remember folks, he hasn’t even turned 19 yet. He has two starts for Borussia Dortmund this season, with an assist and a goal already to his name. For all of the waves that Christian Pulisic is making in Germany, nothing compares to the tsunami he is making with the USMNT. Michael Bradley and Bruce Arena had very positive things to say about the young star this week, and rightfully so. We could easily be looking at a future captain in this young man. I think the thing that stands out most to me is he has seven goals and five assists in 16 matches with the USMNT, and he started nine of those. Oh, and in games where he scores or has an assist, the U.S. is 5-0-3.
The Impact from Hurricane Harvey is Insane
Dutch Lions FC of the National Premier Soccer League, and its 2016 South Central Conference Champions, posted this picture of the club’s training facility. Hurricane Harvey has been relentless, and the recovery and cleanup from this storm is going to be a long process. If you aren’t familiar with the NPSL, some teams closer to home that are members are Miami United FC, Jacksonville Armada U-23, and Miami Fusion FC. To the Dutch Lions, and everyone else who has been affected by this storm, best wishes.
Aerial view of our facility after the storm. Positive is the water seems to be going down at a good rate. We will be back better than ever!! pic.twitter.com/cvmeb6sUq7— Dutch Lions FC NPSL (@HDLFCGamecast) August 31, 2017
- Yesterday was such a fun Transfer Deadline Day. I won’t even post any of the completely #savage Arsenal memes on the net, but man, it was a tough day for many of my footy friends.
- Julian Green, the 19-year-old USMNT youngster has been loaned out to Greuther Fuerth of Germany’s second tier. This is his third team this year, which usually does not bode well for players. Here’s to hoping that this will be the move that gets him the minutes he needs, and that he can find the form that elevated him to Bayern Munich and the USMNT originally.
- A ticket broker is suing an MLS team because they wouldn’t let him keep doing what he was doing.
- USMNT and Fulham defender Tim Ream is back in New York for the World Cup Qualifier. Asked a tough question about his return to Red Bull Arena, he took the high road, and I applaud him for that.
- Music is said to be able to soothe the savage beast, and never before have I needed as much soothing as I have needed lately. This is what helped to calm the nerves and bring me back to center.