Happy final day of August to all the Mane Landers out there. We’re back with a fresh edition of Lion Links to bring the month to a close, and to distract from the fact that the Lions are five points away from a playoff spot, and only have eight games left to play on the year.
Frantic finishes against New England
Orlando City is definitely capable of another applause-worthy finish to this season, Kaká even said so himself. No better way for the Lions to start that trend than against the New England Revolution. We’ve shared some wild finishes with New England in the past, maybe something crazy will be what it takes to jump start the Orlando City attack.
Some fresh faces on the way?
With the game upcoming against New England this weekend, and Orlando City depleted due to injuries, suspensions, and international call ups, it may be time we see some of the young faces from Orlando City B finally jump up to the main squad. Personally I’m excited at the prospect of Hadji Barry teaming up with Dom Dwyer as striking partners up top.
The Pride heading out with their National Teams
Squads for Brazil’s upcoming friendlies against Australia in September have been announced, and no surprise to us here at The Mane Land, a trio of Brazilians from the Pride will be representing Brazil. Camila, Marta, and Monica, take on Australia Sept. 16 and 19.
OCB on the rise in USL
As most of you know Orlando City B has been on a bit of a tear lately, including 11 games without a loss. It seems as though the United Soccer League is taking notice, as it just released its latest Power Rankings. OCB is sitting in eighth in the power rankings and currently sixth overall in the Eastern Conference. Things are looking good for OCB as the young Lions try to lock up a playoff spot — which shouldn’t be too difficult if this form continues.
Donate to Hurricane Harvey Relief
Orlando City recently put out a tweet letting its supporters know how they can help out and make a donation to the Red Cross, to help with recovery from the devastation that Hurricane Harvey has caused Texas. You can find that information down below.
- Latest MLS Power Rankings are out and things don’t look that great for the Lions, as we currently sit in the 18 spot. Down two places from last week.
- Michael Bradley and Tim Howard recently sat down with Major League Soccer to discuss how getting destroyed 4-0 by Costa Rica back in November really lit a fire beneath them, to change theirs, and the team’s mentality.
- Speaking of the USMNT, Fabian Johnson says he expects to play midfield, not left back, in the upcoming qualifier Friday against Costa Rica.
- In NWSL news, Morgan Brian is on the move. The former first overall draft pick of the Houston Dash and USWNT midfielder is now on her way to team up with the Chicago Red Stars
- Now for some transfer news, FourFourTwo has outlined what they think are some of the biggest transfers that can still happen before the transfer window comes to a close later today.
- It is being reported that Liverpool have beat out Chelsea for the transfer of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
- And in shock transfer news, it seems as though Swansea City have agreed to a deal with Bayern Munich, and will receive Renato Sanches on loan. Surely the 19-year-old will find more playing time with Swansea.
That’s all for today, folks! Come check back with us tomorrow as September will have begun, the transfer window will have closed, and we can go back to debating who makes the best taco in Orlando. Gringos Locos does, anyone who tells you otherwise might be liar, just saying.
Oh, and check back later tonight for full coverage of Orlando City B vs. Bethlehem Steel.