Welcome Mane Landers, we have a lot of links to share with you on this Thursday including last night’s Orlando City result. So kick back, relax, and let us show you what is happening in the world of soccer today.
Orlando City SC Drops Second Home Game of the Year
With two teams playing on short rest, it was visiting Toronto FC that got the early goal and then defended in numbers, content to hit on the counter attack or whenever the Reds could sustain some possession. In the end, it was really only a few moments of magic from Sebastian Giovinco and Jozy Altidore that served as the big difference in a 3-1 home loss for Orlando City.
- Michael Citro has your match recap.
- Jason Kreis let out a lot of frustration on the officials after the game (not specifically this game’s officials, although they were included).
- Austin David has the grades and Man of the Match.
- The opposing view comes from Waking the Red.
And don’t forget to check back later today for Dave Rohe’s five takeaways from the game and a photo gallery from Nick Leyva.
Orlando City’s Midterm Grade
Orlando City earned a B+ on its midterm grade for the season. In a blog posted by ESPNFC, Orlando City SC earned a high mark as the midway point of the season has arrived. The B+ is due in large part to a hot start and then sudden drop off where the writer states OCSC lost points due to “the lull that followed a blazing start.” More blazing and less lull, please.
Ask the Coach
Have you ever wanted the opportunity to ask Jason Kreis, Tom Sermanni, or Anthony Pulis questions about their teams? Want to learn about their tactics or managing styles? If you have, you just may have the opportunity to do so. The Orlando City Foundation is putting on an event ‘Ask the Coach’ where you can take part in questioning, drinks, and food at Orlando City Stadium. Join in on the fun July, 24 at 6 p.m. Get tickets now to benefit the Orlando City Foundation.
Pride MVP so Far?
With the mid-season coming to a head for the Orlando Pride, The Equalizer decided to give out mid-season MVP awards to each NWSL team. For the Orlando Pride, many of you could probably see this coming, but the half-season MVP award belongs to Marta, who leads the team in goals and is tied for first in assists. The runner-up is Ali Krieger.
Pierre Da Silva Suspended by USL
Orlando City B midfielder Pierre Da Silva has been suspended for three matches due to “violent conduct” during the closing minutes of a match against FC Cincinnati at home this past Saturday. Da Silva will miss games against Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Charleston.
Former OCSC defender Luke Boden — now with the hated Tampa Bay Rowdies — is also suspended a game for yellow card accumulation.
- Kenny Saief has been injured and subsequently replaced by Chris Pontius for USMNT duties in the Gold Cup. Pontius will come into USMNT action on Friday after his Thursday night match for the Philadelphia Union.
- A lot is at stake for the USMNT as they prepare for Gold Cup action this month. The way the Yanks play and how much they win can tell fans a lot about the team moving forward.
- Take a look at the seven rising stars to watch for in this month’s Gold Cup.
- San Jose Earthquakes midfielder Matheus Silva is in critical condition after a swimming accident in Lake Tahoe.
- Four officials were attacked after a controversial draw in the Chinese second division.
That is all from me today and thank you for reading. Want more? Follow me on twitter @awesomeniemeier.