Welcome to your match thread for tonight's match-up between Orlando City (6-2-0, 18 points) and the Houston Dynamo (4-3-1, 13 points) at BBVA Compass Stadium. It’s the only scheduled meeting in this cross-conference series scheduled for 2017.
Orlando City is 1-0-1 in the all-time series (1-0-0 on the road). Last year in Orlando, the teams drew, 0-0, in what was a pretty forgettable game under Bobby Murphy, who was Orlando City’s interim coach following the firing of Adrian Heath. In the first meeting, back in 2015, the Lions went to Texas and came home with a 1-0 victory in Houston. Dynamo goalkeeper Tyler Deric — under extreme pressure from Pedro Ribeiro — punched the ball into the back of his own net for the only goal of the match. That was Orlando City’s first MLS victory.
The Lions were without Will Johnson (illness) and Antonio Nocerino (coach’s decision, based on resting a lingering calf issue) on Wednesday night in Toronto. The availability of those two leaders in the Lions’ midfield will be crucial if Orlando is to take something home from this two-game road swing. Rafael Ramos (hamstring) is still yet to play this season and Kevin Alston (knee) is out. Jose Aja (hamstring) has dressed the last two games but has yet to get back on the field.
Here's your mandatory match content for tonight:
- Gavin Ewbank has your match preview and prediction.
- Our Intelligence Report gives us more about the Dynamo with the help from Derek Stowers of SB Nation’s Houston FC blog, Dynamo Theory.
- This week's PawedCast includes our key match-ups and more predictions, plus an exclusive interview with Orlando City B Head Coach Anthony Pulis
Cubo Torres reported concussion-like symptoms and has been scratched from the lineup. Jonathan Spector is not even in the 18, so...<gulp>.
Orlando City (4-4-2)
Goalkeeper: Joe Bendik.
Defenders: Donny Toia, Jose Aja, Tommy Redding, Scott Sutter.
Midfielders: Antonio Nocerino, Will Johnson, Luis Gil, Matias Perez Garcia.
Forwards: Giles Barnes, Cyle Larin.
Bench: Josh Saunders, PC, Leo Pereira, Servando Carrasco, Cristian Higuita, Kaká, Carlos Rivas.
Houston Dynamo (4-3-3)
Goalkeeper: Joe Willis.
Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley, Adolfo Machado, Leonardo, A.J. DeLaGarza.
Midfielders: Alex Lima, Juan David Cabezas, Eric Alexander.
Forwards: Romell Quioto, Mauro Manotas, Alberth Elis.
Bench: Tyler Deric, Jalil Anibaba, Andrew Wenger, Ricardo Clark, Boniek Garcia, Kevin Garcia, Vicente Sanchez.
Ref: Sorin Stoica.
AR1: Mike Rottersman.
AR2: Jeff Muschik.
4th: Alejandro Mariscal.
How to Watch
Match Time: 8:30 p.m. ET.
Venue: BBVA Compass Stadium — Houston, TX.
TV: TV 27 (local only).
Radio: 104.1 FM Real Radio (English), La Nueva 990 (Spanish).
Streaming: MLS Live.
Match Thread Rules
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with other supporters. If you're new, welcome to our happy home! While you're here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They can get us in trouble, and no one wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who spews nothing but venom and hate for the team. It's OK to be critical, and, let's face it, sometimes even the best teams can be frustrating to watch, but being overly negative relentlessly can sap the enjoyment for others.
- Keep it somewhat clean and fair when criticizing players / officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Do unto others in the match thread, the way you would have others do unto you. We are a fun community and want to keep it this way. We have a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.