Merry Monday morning, Mane Landers! Well, I hope you had a lovely weekend and are ready for the month of October. Halloween and cooler temperatures (hopefully) are here. It’s one of my favorite months, and here’s to it being kind to Orlando City, Orlando Pride, and OCB. Let’s get to the links!
Orlando City B is Back Above the Red Line
OCB took on the Richmond Kickers and managed to come away with a 1-0 win to move back into playoff contention. Hadji Barry put in a stunner in the 80th minute to secure the win for the young Lions. OCB will host New York Red Bulls II on Saturday in Orlando City Stadium.
Krieger Plays All the Minutes
At 33 years old, Ali Krieger could be considered to be on the tail end of her illustrious career. A career in which she has played 179 professional matches and garnered 98 caps with the USWNT. Most importantly for Pride supporters, she played every minute of every match this season. Krieger brings experience, intensity, and leadership to the field. Granted, she has to work harder to stay at that level than she did earlier in her career, but she puts in the work. The on-field results reflect her commitment to her club, teammates, and herself. Thanks Ali!
Arena Names Roster for Qualifier
Bruce Arena has released the roster of those he has called up for the remaining World Cup qualifying matches. All the usual suspects are there, including Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Jozy Altidore, and Geoff Cameron. Arena has brought 26 players to camp, three more than can suit up for a match. That was a good thing, considering that Gyasi Zardes has withdrawn from the roster due to a groin strain he suffered in LA Galaxy’s 1-1 draw with Real Salt Lake. Additionally, Arena didn’t want to make any big changes to the roster until after the U.S. qualifies. If the team does qualify, then others like Dom Dwyer may get another opportunity.
FC Barcelona Plays in Empty Stadium
Barca took on Las Palmas on Sunday in front of empty seats. The club’s board of directors decided to close the doors for the match in support of the voters and opposition of the police violence perpetrated against the people wanting independence. 760 people had been injured when trying to vote. Barca tried to have the match postponed for safety, but La Liga said there was no precedent for doing so. As such, Barca’s 3-0 win was not attended by the supporters. We hope all those affected are well.
- Tragedy struck at the Amiens-Lille match when Lille supporters rushed forward following a 15th-minute goal, only to have a barrier collapse, injuring 29, with five seriously injured.
- We might have thought Kaká’s red card was ridiculous, but this one that Lyon defender Marcelo received, takes the cake.
You will never have seen a red card given for this before! pic.twitter.com/q39rQ9au3a— Goal USA (@GoalUSA) October 1, 2017
- There are plenty of Americans plying their trade across the globe. While there weren’t too many highlights of note, we should still keep track of who did what.
- Have you gotten your copy of FIFA ‘18 yet? Trying to figure out the ultimate Premier League starting 11? Turns out, someone has already done that for you.
- Famous birthdays for today include: Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948), Sting (65, Roooxxxannne), Kelly Ripa (46 and LIVE with), Roberto Firmino 25, YNWA), Brian Regan, (59, comedian), Phil Kessel (29, Pittsburgh Penguins), and Camilla Belle (30, actress).
That’s going to do if for this edition of Lion Links, but I leave you with this video of the greatest rock and roll front man ever. Enjoy!