Welcome to your match thread for tonight’s meeting between Orlando City (6-7-13, 31 points) and the Montreal Impact (9-7-10, 37 points). This is the second of three scheduled match-ups between the two clubs, with the Impact returning to Central Florida on Oct. 2. The Lions captured the first meeting in Orlando, 2-1, back on May 21. Cyle Larin scored a brace in that match – both off Kaká assists – after Ignacio Piatti opened the scoring four minutes in.
Orlando and Montreal also met three times in 2015, splitting the series, 1-1-1. The first match-up came in Montreal’s Olympic Stadium with many players away on international duty in a 2-2 draw on March 14. Despite falling behind 2-0 on early goals from Piatti (pen.) and Jack McInerney, the Lions rallied with goals from Kaká and Pedro Ribeiro. The Impact won 2-0 at Stade Saputo to snap Orlando’s five-game unbeaten streak on June 20, with the Lions coming off a midweek U.S. Open Cup tie at Charleston. Donny Toia and Dominic Oduro scored for Montreal.
The Lions won the third meeting, 2-1 at home on Oct. 3, with goals from Larin and Seb Hines, offsetting an Oduro goal, which he kicked out of goalkeeper Tally Hall’s hands. Hines’ dramatic game-winning goal came in the 80th minute off the volley. That win pulled Orlando City within a point of Montreal at the time and kept its playoff hopes alive for another week.
Orlando will be missing Larin and Kevin Molino, who are both out on international duty. Midfielders Cristian Higuita (hamstring) and Pedro Ribeiro (back surgery) remain out, although both their returns get nearer every day. Defenders Hines (knee) and Rafael Ramos (hamstring) should both be available. For Montreal, Ambroise Oyongo and Johan Venegas are on international duty. The Impact’s injured list includes Andres Romero (out for season), Patrice Bernier (foot), Harry Shipp (groin) — who returned to practice late last week — and Didier Drogba (Hamstring). Marco Donadel is questionable.
Here is your mandatory content to prepare you for today's match:
- Austin Siegel's got your match preview and prediction.
- Our Intelligence Report gives us more about the Montreal Impact from SB Nation's blog Mount Royal Soccer.
- Our most recent PawedCast has our key match-ups and more predictions.
Orlando City (4-2-3-1)
Goalkeeper: Joe Bendik.
Defenders: Luke Boden, Jose Aja, David Mateos, Kevin Alston.
Defensive Midfielders: Antonio Nocerino, Servando Carrasco.
Attacking Midfielders: Kaká, Matias Perez Garcia, Brek Shea.
Forward: Carlos Rivas.
Bench: Earl Edwards Jr., Tommy Redding, Seb Hines, Mikey Ambrose, Tony Rocha, Julio Baptista, Hadji Barry.
Montreal Impact (4-2-3-1)
Goalkeeper: Evan Bush.
Defenders: Amadou Dia, Laurent Ciman, Hassoun Camara, Donny Toia.
Defensive Midfielders: Calum Mallace, Hernan Bernardello,
Attacking Midfielders: Ignacio Piatti, Kyle Bekker, Dominic Oduro.
Forward: Didier Drogba.
Bench: Eric Kronberg, Victor Cabrera, Marco Donadel, Patrice Bernier, Lucas Ontivero, Harry Shipp, Matteo Mancosu.
Ref: Ricardo Salazar.
AR1: Joe Fletcher.
AR2: Daniel Belleau.
4th: Silviu Petrescu.
How to Watch
Match Time: 7:30 p.m. (ET).
Venue: Stade Saputo – Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
TV: TV27 (available locally only).
Radio: 104.1 FM Real Radio (English), La Grande 1030 (Spanish).
Streaming: MLS Live.
Match Thread Rules
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with other supporters. If you're new, welcome to our happy home! While you're here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They can get us in trouble, and no one wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who spews nothing but venom and hate for the team. It's ok to be critical, and, let's face it, sometimes even the best teams can be frustrating to watch, but being overly negative relentlessly can sap the enjoyment for others.
- Keep it somewhat clean and fair when criticizing players / officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Do unto others in the match thread, the way you would have others do unto you. We are a fun community and want to keep it this way. We have a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Finally, we don't have a rule against profanity but don't abuse the non-rule. Also, any language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We're all in this together.