Welcome to your live thread for today's Olympic quarterfinal match-up between the United States Women's National Team and Sweden! The winner of today's game will book a semifinal berth, likely against host nation Brazil, which takes on Australia later today.
The U.S. is coming off a surprising 2-2 draw against Colombia to close out group play. The Yanks trailed early in the game and conceded the equalizer with just minutes left after coming back to take the lead. While giving up two goals may make you think the defense needs to step up, keeper Hope Solo is really the one player in need of a better showing today. Solo was at fault on the first Colombian goal, which slipped between her legs, and should have done better to punch away the second free kick that found the back of the net in the 90th minute.
Offensively for the U.S., superstar Carli Lloyd will be the main threat. The Houston Dash midfielder scored in the first two group games, and it was her initial shot that Crystal Dunn finished off after it hit the crossbar to tie the match against Colombia. The Orlando Pride's Alex Morgan came off the bench against Colombia, but expect the Pride captain to get the start today. The U.S. attack looked lackluster at best with Morgan on the bench, but if Lloyd and Morgan are both on the field from the start today, the USWNT's chances of winning get even better.
Dunn and Mallory Pugh both scored Tuesday and both occupy spots out on the wings. While one of them is likely to start on the bench as Tobin Heath re-enters the lineup, having that speed and finishing ability both youngsters carry on the team is definitely an asset.
Unlike most teams in the world, Sweden is a team that has had success against the Americans. The Swedes took down the U.S. in the 2011 World Cup group stage, and held the Yanks to a scoreless draw in last year's World Cup group stage as well. While this Swedish team may not be as strong as some past teams -- Brazil blew out the Swedes 5-1 last week -- this will still be a tough test for the Americans and one U.S. fans won't want to miss!
How to Watch:
Match Time: 12 p.m. ET.
Venue: Mané Garrincha Stadium -- Brasilia, Brazil.
Live Stream: nbcsports.com.
Match Thread Rules:
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with our supporters. If you are new, welcome to our happy home! While you are here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no illegal streams, they can get us in trouble and nobody wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who does nothing but spit venom at the team. Being critical is fine -- every team can be frustrating to watch sometimes -- but constantly being too negative can diminish the fun for others.
- Keep it clean and fair when criticizing officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Treat others in the match thread as you would like to treated in the thread. We are a fun community and would like to keep it that way. There is a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Lastly, while we do not have any rules against profanity, do not abuse this non-rule. Any language that is sexist, racist or homophobic will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We are all in this together.
Enjoy the game. Go USA!