Welcome to your live thread for tonight's United States Women's National Team match against Costa Rica! This is the final friendly match for the Stars and Stripes before the Yanks head to Rio to defend their gold medals from four years ago.
The U.S. is coming off what was a surprisingly close 1-0 win against South Africa, but should have no problems with the Costa Ricans. The biggest question for the U.S. heading into the match is who will see the field. Superstar Carli Lloyd is coming off an injury and could be rested for Rio, and midfield talisman Megan Rapinoe could see the field for the first time since tearing her ACL late in 2015.
The Orlando Pride's Alex Morgan has been in fine form recently for the U.S. and is practically a guarantee to start not only tonight, but in a couple weeks' time in Rio.
Teenage prodigy Mallory Pugh not only made the Olympic roster, but has a very good shot at making the starting XI as well. A good showing could secure that starting spot for the UCLA commit.
The back line of Kelley O'Hara, Becky Sauerbrunn, Julie Johnston and Meghan Klingenberg may not be tested too much tonight, but another clean sheet for them and keeper Hope Solo would do nothing but add to their soaring confidence heading into an Olympic group that includes France.
U.S. fans can expect plenty of goals tonight from a U.S. team that will surely want to send a message to the world that the Americans are ready to defend their title.
How to Watch:
Match Time: 9 p.m. ET
Venue: Children's Mercy Park -- Kansas City, Kan.
TV: ESPN, UDN
Live Stream: WatchESPN
Match Thread Rules:
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with our supporters. If you are new, welcome to our happy home! While you are here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no illegal streams, they can get us in trouble and nobody wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who does nothing but spit venom at the team. Being critical is fine -- every team can be frustrating to watch sometimes -- but constantly being too negative can diminish the fun for others.
- Keep it clean and fair when criticizing officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Treat others in the match thread as you would like to treated in the thread. We are a fun community and would like to keep it that way. There is a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Lastly, while we do not have any rules against profanity, do not abuse this non-rule. Any language that is sexist, racist or homophobic will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We are all in this together.
Enjoy the game. Go USA!