It was quite the week for Kevin Molino, and the praise just kept on coming for the Trinidad & Tobago international yesterday. We don't want to hold you up as you are probably already running late to work due to that three-day weekend hangover, so let's get on it with today's Lion Links.
After a stellar appearance in Sunday's draw with New York City FC and against the Philadelphia Union last Wednesday, midfielder Kevin Molino has managed to bag himself a spot on the MLS Team of the Week. His invaluable contribution to Sunday's game also sees him in the running for MLS Goal of the Week as well. So remember to vote early and vote often.
Bélanger vs. Brazil
The Canadian women's roster for their upcoming Road to Rio friendlies was announced yesterday and Orlando Pride defender Josée Bélanger received a call-up. The 30-year-old Quebec native will take her place on a youthful Canadian roster and will be hoping to stake her place on the Olympic squad due to the women's side of the tournament having no age limit.
Young Lions Roll On
This weekend saw the U-15, U-16s and U-17s of Orlando City take part in the ECNL tournament up in New Jersey and it appears that it was a successful trip up north. Girls Academy Director Alan Hough tweeted out congratulations to the participants for securing their participation in the Champions League tournament at the ECNL playoffs in Oceanside, CA, late next month.
Just landed from Italy with great news. Orlando City 15,16,17 secured champions league at ECNL playoffs @theECNL @DanTids18 @Sam_JP_Mitch— Alan Hough (@coachhoughOC) May 30, 2016
In a harrowing 24 hours for Mexican international Alan Pulido, who was kidnapped on Saturday, we are happy to report that he was able to escape from his kidnappers. The 25-year-old Pulido managed to disarm his attacker, then broke a window and used the kidnapper's cell phone to alert authorities to his location. Pulido is recovering with his family after the ordeal.
- The U.S. U-17 WNT found out their group for the upcoming FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup that will take place in Jordan in September.
- Sporting Kansas City, FC Dallas, Portland Timbers and the Vancouver Whitecaps all found out their groups yesterday for the 2016-17 CONCACAF Champions League.
- Some Seattle Sounders fans took fandom a little too far and named their new family member Dempsey in honor of their hero, and perpetual grump, Clint Dempsey.
- The USMNT defense hasn't always been the most resolute, however, with the Copa América Centenario, maybe the U.S. is eventually building the right kind of wall.
- The Shreveport Rafters go all in on Seersucker Thursday.
- And in the category of what the heck was he thinking, we give you this:
That's it for today's Lion Links, and remember that since it's Tuesday you should pick up tacos and if you like a lot of tacos then maybe you should visit this soccer/taco themed restaurant in Knoxville (or maybe just open one in downtown Orlando).