Welcome to your live thread for today's United States Men's National Team's match against Puerto Rico! This is the first of three games in a six-day span for the Yanks before they set their sights on next month's Copa America. This will also be the first time the Americans have played Puerto Rico.
The U.S. roster is made up of some old faces with a few youngsters thrown in, as players in the MLS were not released for this match. However, this does not leave the U.S. without adequate firepower. Expect regular Alejandro Bedoya to wreak havoc from his midfield role against an inferior opponent. With no Jozy Altidore or Clint Dempsey, this is a chance for Bobby Wood to prove that his outstanding season in Europe was no fluke. Against the 152nd ranked team in the world, chances will be plentiful and bagging a goal or two will not only help solidify a place in the starting XI for the Hawaiian, but further build his confidence in front of goal as well.
Absentees like Michael Bradley have allowed space for youngsters like Paul Arriola and Julian Green to get back in the fold. Even the NASL is getting some love, by association, as former Ft. Lauderdale Strikers and Tampa Bay Rowdies front man Fafa Picault gets his first call up. The current FC St. Pauli striker may have a chance to make a name for himself and get another call up for the next round of World Cup qualifiers in September, but he'll have to stand out for sure to make that happen.
The U.S. should win this game comfortably and be set up nicely for tougher tests against Ecuador and Bolivia. But road matches are never as easy as they appear--a certain recent trip to Guatemala comes to mind--and this will be a chance for U.S. fans to see some new talent and certainly some goals.
How to Watch
Match Time: 12 p.m. ET
Venue: Juan Ramon Loubriel Stadium -- Bayamon, Puerto Rico
TV: FS1, Unimas, UDN
Live Stream: Fox Sports GO
Match Thread Rules
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with our supporters. If you are new, welcome to our happy home! While you are here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no illegal streams, they can get us in trouble and nobody wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who does nothing but spit venom at the team. Being critical is fine -- every team can be frustrating to watch sometimes -- but constantly being too negative can diminish the fun for others.
- Keep it clean and fair when criticizing officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Treat others in the match thread as you would like to treated in the thread. We are a fun community and would like to keep it that way. There is a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Lastly, while we do not have any rules against profanity, do not abuse this non-rule. Any language that is sexist, racist or homophobic will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We are all in this together.
Enjoy the game. Go USA!