Welcome to your match thread for tonight's meeting between Orlando City (1-0-2, 5 points) and the Portland Timbers (1-1-1, 4 points). This is the only meeting scheduled between these teams from opposite conferences for 2016.
The Lions won the inaugural MLS meeting last season at Providence Park, 2-0, with Cyle Larin scoring the first of his league rookie record 17 goals, chesting home a wicked cross from Kevin Molino. Kaká scored the second goal from the spot to provide the final margin after Carlos Rivas drew the first penalty in Orlando City's MLS history.
Orlando City captain Kaká (thigh) is expected to be healthy enough to play and center back David Mateos is inching closer to selection, despite being listed as "out" on the MLSsoccer.com injury report. The way Tommy Redding has played, Mateos may not have been able to supplant the 19-year-old anyway. Adrian Heath's side may finally be as healthy as it has ever been since the Lions joined MLS. Julio Baptista will be introduced to fans in a special pregame ceremony, which would seem to indicate he will not dress for the match with international paperwork perhaps still in progress.
Here is your mandatory content to prepare you for tonight's match:
- Austin Siegel's got your match preview and prediction.
- Our Intelligence Report gives us more about the Timbers from sister SBN blog Stumptown Footy.
- This week's PawedCast has our key match-ups and more predictions (plus, our exclusive interview with Orlando City / OCB midfielder Richie Laryea).
- Our staff roundtable takes a critical look at tonight's match and the season at large.
- Brent Petkus has your scouting report.
Orlando City (4-2-3-1)
Goalkeeper: Joe Bendik.
Defenders: Brek Shea, Seb Hines, Tommy Redding, Rafael Ramos.
Defensive Midfielders: Cristian Higuita, Darwin Ceren.
Attacking Midfielders: Adrian Winter, Kaká, Kevin Molino.
Forward: Cyle Larin.
Bench: Earl Edwards Jr., Antonio Nocerino, Kevin Alston, Aurelien Collin, Servando Carrasco, Carlos Rivas, Hadji Barry.
Portland Timbers (4-3-3)
Goalkeeper: Adam Larsen Kwarasey.
Defenders: Jack Barmby, Jermaine Taylor, Nat Borchers, Alvas Powell.
Midfielders: Diego Valeri, Diego Chara, Darlington Nagbe.
Forwards: Lucas Melano, Fanendo Adi, Dairon Asprilla.
Bench: Jack Gleeson, Zarek Valentin, Jack McInerney, Ned Grabavoy, Darren Mattocks, Jack Jewsbury, Taylor Peay.
Ref: Alan Kelly.
AR1: Eric Weisbrod.
AR2: Kyle Longville.
4th: Caleb Mendez.
How to Watch
Match Time: 8 p.m. (ET).
Venue: Citrus Bowl -- Orlando, FL.
TV: FOX Sports 1, FOX Deportes.
Radio: 104.1 FM Real Radio (English), La Grande 1030 (Spanish), Sirius XM FC.
Streaming: FOX Soccer 2Go USA, FOX Sports Go, MLS Live (out of market).
Match Thread Rules
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with other supporters. If you're new, welcome to our happy home! While you're here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They can get us in trouble, and no one wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who spews nothing but venom and hate for the team. It's ok to be critical, and, let's face it, sometimes even the best teams can be frustrating to watch, but being overly negative relentlessly can sap the enjoyment for others.
- Keep it somewhat clean and fair when criticizing players / officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Do unto others in the match thread, the way you would have others do unto you. We are a fun community and want to keep it this way. We have a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Finally, we don't have a rule against profanity but don't abuse the non-rule. Also, any language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We're all in this together.