Welcome to your live thread for the United States Men's National Team match against Guatemala. This is a World Cup qualifier, and one that has taken on added importance following Friday's result in Guatemala City.
The U.S. stumbled to a 2-0 defeat to this same Guatemalan side, which saw the team drop below tonight's visitors for second in Group C. Only the top two teams from each group in this round will advance to the Hex.
Three points tonight would help the Yanks get back on track, but in order to do that the team as a whole must take its game up a level from the performance last week.
The U.S. will also be without Fabian Johnson again, who was sent home with an injury, as well as Matt Besler. Graham Zusi and teenage Borussia Dortmund prospect Christian Pulisic were called up in their places, but it remains to be seen if either will get playing time. Toronto FC man Jozy Altidore was a second-half sub and performed well Friday night, so it will be interesting to see if he makes the starting lineup after seemingly returning to full strength from his hamstring injury.
It is also a mystery who coach Jurgen Klinsmann will play on the back line. Omar Gonzalez and Michael Orozco got the starts at center back on Friday with Edgar Castillo and Geoff Cameron at left and right back, respectively, but each had their struggles.
Playing in Columbus, OH, which has been a fortress for the Yanks in recent years, will surely boost their confidence but, as Friday proved, anything can happen in CONCACAF. The U.S. will need an inspired performance to get back on track and this will be a game U.S. fans will want to tune in to and support the home side.
How to Watch:
Match Time: 7 p.m. ET
Venue: Mapfre Stadium -- Columbus, Ohio
Live Stream: WatchESPN
Match Thread Rules:
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with our supporters. If you are new, welcome to our happy home! While you are here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no illegal streams, they can get us in trouble and nobody wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who does nothing but spit venom at the team. Being critical is fine -- every team can be frustrating to watch sometimes -- but constantly being too negative can diminish the fun for others.
- Keep it clean and fair when criticizing officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Treat others in the match thread as you would like to treated in the thread. We are a fun community and would like to keep it that way. There is a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Lastly, while we do not have any rules against profanity, do not abuse this non-rule. Any language that is sexist, racist or homophobic will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We are all in this together.
Enjoy the game. Go USA!