Welcome to your live thread for this evening's World Cup qualifier between the United States Men's National Team and Guatemala. This is game number three of qualifying for the Yanks in this World Cup cycle.
Right now, the U.S. sits on four points after defeating St. Vincent and the Grenadines and drawing Trinidad and Tobago in November. A win in Guatemala City would set the U.S. up nicely to advance out of Group C and into the final round of qualifying, commonly known as "the Hex." But, getting three points is easier said than done. Last cycle, the Yanks were held to a 1-1 draw when they visited the Guatemalan capital.
Coach Jurgen Klinsmann has called up a full strength side in terms of talent for this match, but there are a couple bumps and bruises to keep an eye on. Jozy Altidore has missed time with Toronto FC this season with hamstring issues and Bundesliga regular Fabian Johnson is trying to recover from a knock he picked up recently.
The match also features the return of U.S. star Clint Dempsey. The Seattle Sounders front man was left off the roster for the first two qualifying games and the Texan will surely cause Guatemala problems throughout the match.
The U.S. has not dropped a contest to Guatemala since 1984 according to 11v11.com, but this Guatemala team is a tricky side that will look to sit in and earn a valuable point in hopes of getting to the Hex.
The January camp gave USMNT fans a chance to see some young talent earn their first caps, but this is the first time we'll get to see a full strength U.S. side since November. You never know what will happen in road qualifiers in CONCACAF and this is a game U.S. fans won't want to miss.
How to Watch:
Match Time: 10 p.m. ET
Venue: Estadio Mateo Flores -- Guatemala City, Guatemala
TV: beIN Sport
Live Stream: NBC Universo
Match Thread Rules:
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with our supporters. If you are new, welcome to our happy home! While you are here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no illegal streams, they can get us in trouble and nobody wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who does nothing but spit venom at the team. Being critical is fine -- every team can be frustrating to watch sometimes -- but constantly being too negative can diminish the fun for others.
- Keep it clean and fair when criticizing officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Treat others in the match thread as you would like to treated in the thread. We are a fun community and would like to keep it that way. There is a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Lastly, while we do not have any rules against profanity, do not abuse this non-rule. Any language that is sexist, racist or homophobic will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We are all in this together.
Enjoy the game. Go USA!