Welcome to your live thread for tonight's United States Women's National Team semifinal match against Trinidad and Tobago. This match is the one that really counts, as a win tonight would book a ticket to Rio for the U.S.
So far in qualifying, the USWNT has been untested. The Yanks have outscored their opponents 16-0 up to this point, and tonight's match in Houston shouldn't vary much from that pattern. Overall, the U.S. is undefeated against Trinidad and Tobago, according to ussoccer.com, and the Soca Princesses have already suffered one glaring loss this tournament. Canada shut out T&T 6-0 in group play, and with the attacking talent in the U.S. arsenal, a similar scoreline is possible.
Look for the Orlando Pride's own Alex Morgan to get another start up top after getting a break in the final group match against Puerto Rico. The forward scored last time out against T&T on Dec. 10, as did captain Carli Lloyd, Christen Press and Lindsey Horan. Except for Press, the aforementioned players should all be in the starting lineup, along with Crystal Dunn, who had a banner day on Monday. The Washington Spirit standout entered the contest with five international goals, and had doubled her total by night's end. With attention focused on Morgan and Lloyd, this could be a chance for Dunn to sneak behind the back line from the wing and rack up a couple more goals.
The chance to defend their Olympic title is on the line tonight for the USWNT. Expect to see a team ready to lock up a spot in the tournament and determined to score some goals.
How to Watch:
Match Time: 8:30 p.m. ET
Venue: BBVA Compass Stadium -- Houston, Texas
TV: NBCSN, NBC Universo
Live Stream: NBC Sports Live Extra
Match Thread Rules:
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game with our supporters in real time. If you are new, welcome to our happy home! While you are here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no illegal streams, they can get us in trouble and nobody wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who does nothing but spit venom at the team. Being critical is fine -- every team can be frustrating to watch sometimes -- but constantly being too critical can diminish the fun for others.
- Keep it clean and fair when criticizing officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Treat others in the match thread as you would want to be treated in the thread. You are a fun community and we would like to keep it that way. There is a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Lastly, while we do not have any rules against profanity, do not abuse this non-rule. Any language that is sexist, racist or homophobic will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We are all in this together.