Welcome to your live thread for tonight's United States Women's National Team match against CONCACAF rival Mexico.
This is game two of Olympic qualifying for both of these teams, who sit atop group A. However, Mexico is actually top of the table based on goal differential. The winner of this game will be poised to win the group and face the group B runner-up in the semi-finals.
In the Americans' first game, Orlando Pride forward Alex Morgan bagged a brace while scoring the fastest goal in qualifying history after only 12 seconds. The team put a total of five up on Costa Rica and will surely be looking to add to that total in tonight's game, and history shows that they probably will. The Yanks have scored 20 goals in their last four games against their southern rivals.
If Mexico is to stay in this one, it will have to drop numbers back into the defensive half and absorb the U.S. pressure that can seemingly come from anywhere on the field. While the U.S. will be heavily favored in the match, a close loss would not be terrible for Mexico. With Costa Rica sitting on a -5 goal differential, anything less than a five-goal defeat would leave the Mexicans in a good position to move through to the semis as the group runner-up.
Going back to the U.S., don't be surprised to see Christen Press get some more minutes in this one. The Stanford alum has been the epitome of a super sub lately, scoring five goals in the last four games off the bench. Mallory Pugh, the teenage standout, earned her second cap on Wednesday and any time she gets on the field now will be huge for her in terms of gaining experience. The playing time will help the UCLA commit adjust to life at the senior level and will also give her reps against higher quality players that she will take back with her to the U-20 team, which she captains.
U.S.A-Mexico games are always something to watch, this is going to be a fun one!
How to Watch:
Match Time: 4 p.m. ET.
Venue: Toyota Stadium -- Frisco, TX
TV: You're going to have to stream it, but a replay will be on NBCSN at 9:30 p.m. ET.
Live Stream: NBC Live Extra
Match Thread Rules:
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with our supporters. If you are new, welcome to our happy home! While you're here, please observe a few basic rules.
- Absolutely no illegal streams, they can get us in trouble and nobody wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who does nothing but spit venom towards the team. Being critical is fine -- every team can be frustrating to watch sometimes -- but constantly being too negative can diminish the fun for others.
- Keep it clean and fair when criticizing players and officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Treat others in the match thread as you would like to be treated in the thread. We are a fun community and would like to keep it that way. There is a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Lastly, while we do not have any rules against profanity, do not abuse this non-rule. Any language that is sexist, racist or homophobic will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We are all in this together.