Welcome to your live thread for tonight's United States Women's National Team match-up against Costa Rica. This is game number one of Olympic qualifying for the Yanks, who are the clear favorites to win this tournament.
This is the first tournament since the retirement of Abby Wambach, so it's a chance for Orlando Pride forward Alex Morgan to step up and be the go-to goal scorer for the U.S. The pressure is not solely on Morgan, however. World Cup hero Carli Lloyd has scored four goals in the last four games and had two goals in the last game against the Costa Ricans.
The U.S. has dominated Costa Rica throughout history, including 8-0 and 7-2 drubbings this past summer. Expect Costa Rica to sit back and absorb a ton of pressure throughout the game and spring one or two counterattacks.
If the game is put out of reach relatively early, there may be a Mallory Pugh sighting. The UCLA commit scored on her debut against Ireland last month and could very well be the future up top for the Americans.
The Road to Rio begins tonight and you can count on goals being scored.
Goalkeeper: Hope Solo
Defenders: Ali Krieger, Julie Johnston, Becky Sauerbrunn, Meghan Klingenberg
Midfielders: Morgan Brian, Lindsey Horan, Crystal Dunn, Carli Lloyd (c), Tobin Heath
Striker: Alex Morgan
How to Watch:
Match Time: 8:30 p.m. ET
Venue: Toyota Stadium -- Frisco, TX.
TV: You're going to have to stream it.
Live Stream: NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC Deportes En Vivo Extra
Match Thread Rules:
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with our supporters. If you are new, welcome to our happy home! While you're here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no illegal streams. They can get us in trouble and nobody wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who does noting but spit venom and hate towards the team. Being critical is fine -- every team can be frustrating to watch sometimes -- but constantly being too negative can diminish the fun for others.
- Keep it clean and fair when criticizing players and officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Treat others in the match thread as you would like to be treated in the thread. We are a fun community and would like to keep it that way. There is a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Lastly, while we do not have any rules against profanity, do not abuse this non-rule. Any language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We are all in this together.