Welcome to your FIFA Women's World Cup Mane Land open thread as the U.S. sees its first involvement in the 2015 tournament.
We'll keep posting these even though you're primarily here for Orlando City news. We know you're soccer fans and many of you are based here in the U.S. and therefore have a rooting interest in our national teams. We'll post these as informational items, even if participation in the open thread is light. We figure over time people will start to gather here for these types of events and we can get a good, healthy in-game discussion going. It's a process.
As for tonight's game, it's what we've all been waiting for for the past four years, ever since Japan won the penalty shootout against the USWNT in Germany. Abby Wambach appeared to have won the Cup in the 104th minute of that final but Homare Sawa's equalizer in the 117th ultimately led to the Americans' heartbreaking loss in spot kicks.
Head Coach Jill Ellis brings in a squad that has sometimes not looked all that convincing over the past year, and two of her star players -- Meghan Rapinoe and Alex Morgan -- have injury doubts. Still, this is the deepest, most talented USWNT in years, with outstanding depth in the attacking positions and World Cup veterans like Shannon Boxx and Christie Rampone available off the bench.
It's time to get the Wambeast a World Cup. The battle for Group D starts tonight.
Feel free to discuss all the action below in the comments.
USWNT Starting Lineup:
U.S. Women's National Team (4-4-2):
Goalkeeper: Hope Solo
Defenders: Meghan Klingenberg, Julie Johnston, Becky Sauerbrunn, Ali Krieger
Midfielders: Megan Rapinoe, Lauren Holiday, Carli Lloyd, Christen Press
Forward: Sydney Leroux, Abby Wambach (c)
How to Watch:
Match time: 7:30 p.m. (ET)
Venue: Winnipeg Stadium, Winnipeg, Canada
TV: FOX Sports 1
Live Stream: FOX Soccer 2Go, FOX Sports GO
Radio: Sirius XM FC
Twitter: For rapid reaction and live updates, follow along with @StarsAndStripesFC.
Match Thread Rules:
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with other supporters. If you're new, welcome to our happy home! While you're here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They can get us in trouble, and no one wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who spews nothing but venom and hate for the team. It's ok to be critical, and, let's face it, sometimes even the best teams can be frustrating to watch, but being overly negative relentlessly can sap the enjoyment for others.
- Keep it somewhat clean and fair when criticizing players / officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Do unto others in the match thread, the way you would have others do unto you. We are a fun community and want to keep it this way. We have a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Finally, we don't have a rule against profanity but don't abuse the non-rule. Also, any language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We're all in this together.