It's your middle-of-the-night thread for freedom. At least it's a weekend night.
The U-20 USMNT takes on Serbia tonight (or early tomorrow, if you prefer) in the FIFA U-20 World Cup quarterfinals, with a chance to get to the final four. The Americans had to deny a penalty kick and finish the game with 10 men to defeat Colombia, 1-0 to get to this point. The Serbs had to score in extra time (118') to defeat Hungary, 2-1.
The United States, which has never finished higher than fourth in this competition, is the only CONCACAF team still standing, but the Yanks are a bit shorthanded Maki Tall being ruled out with an injury sustained in the Ukraine match, and with forward Jordan Allen and defender Kellyn Acosta missing tonight's game due to yellow card suspension.
Serbia was the winner of Group D, falling to Uruguay and then beating Mali and Mexico. The winner of tonight's match gets the winner of Germany-Mali in the semifinals.
Can the U.S. youngsters reach the semis? We'll find out soon!
USMNT (4-4-2 Diamond)
Goalkeeper: Zack Steffen
Defenders: John Requejo, Matt Miazga, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Desevio Payne
Midfielders: Paul Arriola, Marky Delgado, Emerson Hyndman, Gedion Zelalem
Forwards: Rubio Rubin, Tommy Thompson
How to Watch:
Match time: 12:30 a.m. (ET)
Venue: North Harbour Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand
TV: FOX Sports 1, NBC Universo
Streaming: FOX Sports 2GO
Twitter: For rapid reaction and live updates, follow @usscocer_ynt and @ussoccer_esp.
Match Thread Rules:
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with other supporters. If you're new, welcome to our happy home! While you're here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They can get us in trouble, and no one wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who spews nothing but venom and hate for the team. It's ok to be critical, and, let's face it, sometimes even the best teams can be frustrating to watch, but being overly negative relentlessly can sap the enjoyment for others.
- Keep it somewhat clean and fair when criticizing players / officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Do unto others in the match thread, the way you would have others do unto you. We are a fun community and want to keep it this way. We have a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Finally, we don't have a rule against profanity but don't abuse the non-rule. Also, any language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We're all in this together.