Welcome to your open thread for today's match-up between Orlando City SC and the surprisingly good San Jose Earthquakes. The game is at Levi's Stadium rather than San Jose's usual home at Avaya Stadium, so the crowd should be a good one.
The Lions (3-5-3, 12 points) make their second cross-country trip hoping for similar results to what they found in Portland. In fact, Orlando City is 3-1 against Western Conference opponents, with wins at Houston and Portland and last Sunday's home victory over the LA Galaxy. The lone loss came in the sixth minute of (at least) four minutes of stoppage against the Vancouver Whitecaps.
Orlando City is 2-2-1 on the road during this inaugural MLS campaign so far, but have lost two straight (Columbus, D.C. United) after a 2-0-1 start.
San Jose (5-4-2, 17 points) entered the weekend fourth in the Western Conference and is remarkably improved after finishing last in the conference in 2014. As you've no doubt heard by now, Earthquakes star man Chris Wondolowski will be looking for his 100th MLS goal and it will likely be up to last week's surprise starter, Tally Hall, to deny him that distinction.
Here's your required content to prepare you for the game:
- Andrew Marcinko's match preview provides analysis and context.
- My Intelligence Report from yesterday gives the inside scoop on San Jose from Center Line Soccer.
- This week's PawedCast features Robert Jonas from Center Line Soccer and previews the match.
- Scott Crumbly's piece on why Orlando City needs a fast start today.
Orlando City (4-2-3-1)
Goalkeeper: Tally Hall
Defenders: Luke Boden, Sean St. Ledger, Seb Hines, Rafael Ramos
Defensive Midfielders: Darwin Ceren, Cristian Higuita
Attacking Midfielders: Brek Shea, Kaká, Eric Avila
Forward: Cyle Larin
Bench: Donovan Ricketts, Tyler Turner, Harrison Heath, Danny Mwanga, Amobi Okugo, Carlos Rivas, Martin Paterson
San Jose Earthquakes (4-1-4-1)
Goalkeeper: David Bingham
Defenders: Marvell Wynne, Victor Bernardez, Clarence Goodson, Jordan Stewart
Defensive Midfielder: Fatai Alashe
Attacking Midfielders: Sanna Nyassi, Chris Wondolowski, Matias Perez Garcia, Shea Salinas
Forward: Adam Jahn
Bench: Bryan Meredith, Paulo Renato, Khari Stephenson, Leandro Barrera, Cordell Cato, Michael Fucito, J.J. Koval
How to Watch:
Match time: 7 p.m. (ET)
Venue: Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, CA
TV: Nationally on FOX Sports 1
Radio: 104.1 FM Real Radio (English), La Grande 1030 AM (Spanish)
Streaming: FOX Sports GO
Match Thread Rules:
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with other supporters. If you're new, welcome to our happy home! While you're here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They can get us in trouble, and no one wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who spews nothing but venom and hate for the team. It's ok to be critical, and, let's face it, sometimes even the best teams can be frustrating to watch, but being overly negative relentlessly can sap the enjoyment for others.
- Keep it somewhat clean and fair when criticizing players / officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Do unto others in the match thread, the way you would have others do unto you. We are a fun community and want to keep it this way. We have a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Finally, we don't have a rule against profanity but don't abuse the non-rule. Also, any language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We're all in this together.