Welcome to your open thread for the United States Women's National Team, as it continues its Victory Tour tonight against Trinidad & Tobago in San Antonio, TX (9 p.m. ET). This will be the eighth game in a tour to celebrate the U.S. team's victory in the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup. Game seven of the tour was supposed to be played last Sunday in Hawaii against the same T&T team, but concerns over the turf at Aloha Stadium caused the match to be cancelled.
The team is 5-1-0 during the tour and will look to star midfielder Carli Lloyd to spur on the offense. Lloyd has nine goals during the tour and is up for the 2015 FIFA Ballon d'Or, FIFA's award for the best women's world player in the world.
Orlando Pride goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris could see some time in the friendly; it can be expected the stalwart Hope Solo will get the start, but do not be surprised to see Harris between the sticks in the second half.
The U.S. and T&T have only squared off one other time since 2012, according to ussoccer.com. In 2014, the Yanks came out the victors, but were only able to muster one goal against a resilient T&T defense in a CONCACAF Women's Championship group stage match. That feat will be tough to replicate; the U.S. has only been held to one goal once in its past eight games.
Tonight's contest also holds more importance for the team going forward than the previous games on the tour. With Olympic qualifying scheduled for February, coach Jill Ellis must decide who she wants to bring to Texas on the roster. With iconic mainstays Shannon Boxx, Lori Chalupny, and Lauren Holiday retiring, there are plenty of spots up for grabs. Crystal Dunn, a 23-year-old defender, is one player to watch and fans should expect to see her get time not only in the Alamodome, but further down the road, as well. Dunn has already logged time during the Victory Tour and scored in the last friendly against Brazil -- a 3-1 win at Orlando City's home, the Citrus Bowl.
Unfortunately for the USWNT, midfielder and regular starter Megan Rapinoe tore her ACL during practice Dec. 4 and will miss tonight's match. The injury also puts Rapinoe's hopes of being on the Olympic team in jeopardy.
Let's check out the roster and how you can watch the game.
Defenders: Crystal Dunn (Washington Spirit), Whitney Engen (Boston Breakers), Jaelene Hinkle (Western NY Flash), Julie Johnston (Chicago Red Stars), Meghan Klingenberg (Portland Thorns FC), Ali Krieger (Washington Spirit), Kelley O'Hara (Sky Blue FC), Christie Rampone (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Emily Sonnett (University of Virginia)
Midfielders: Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Danielle Colaprico (Chicago Red Stars), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), Rose Lavelle (Wisconsin), Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash), Samantha Mewis (Western NY Flash), Heather O'Reilly (FC Kansas City), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign FC)
Forwards: Lindsey Horan (PSG), Sydney Leroux (Western NY Flash), Stephanie McCaffrey (Boston Breakers), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Amy Rodriguez (FC Kansas City), Abby Wambach
How to Watch
Match Time: 9 p.m. ET
Venue: Alamodome -- San Antonio, TX
Live Stream: WatchESPN
Match Thread Rules:
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with other supporters. If you're new, welcome to our happy home! While you're here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They can get us in trouble, and no one wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who spews nothing but venom and hate for the team. It's ok to be critical, and, let's face it, sometimes even the best teams can be frustrating to watch, but being overly negative relentlessly can sap the enjoyment for others.
- Keep it somewhat clean and fair when criticizing players / officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Do unto others in the match thread, the way you would have others do unto you. We are a fun community and want to keep it this way. We have a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Finally, we don't have a rule against profanity but don't abuse the non-rule. Also, any language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We're all in this together.