Welcome to your open thread for tonight's #RoadToRussia World Cup qualifier between the United States and St. Vincent & the Grenadines. This is Group C CONCACAF qualifying, with Trinidad & Tobago facing Guatemala in group qualifying play elsewhere. Everyone changes partners on Tuesday and we'll do it again, with the USMNT squaring off against T&T on the road at Port of Spain.
From our perspective, you should watch to see if Brek Shea plays, and in what position. The left back / left wing has appeared in three previous World Cup qualifiers. He has seven caps and one goal -- on a free kick against the Swiss -- in 2015.
Quick geography lesson: St. Vincent & the Grenadines (usually just called St. Vincent) is an island country in the Lesser Antilles island chain in the Caribbean. The entire country is slightly larger than Orlando -- about 40 square miles larger than the City Beautiful.
Neither Wikipedia nor 11v11.com shows any historical head-to-head data, so I cannot definitively tell you these countries have ever met before, although the country has had a national soccer team since 1979. St. Vincent is 67-73-34 in all competitive matches, with the vast majority of those games coming against other Caribbean island nations. They are 5-1-4 in 2015, including a 2-1 win over Antigua & Barbuda in a Nov. 4 friendly. They got to this point with a 3-2 aggregate win over two matches against Aruba, winning 2-0 on Aug. 31 at home and a 2-1 road loss Sept. 8.
This should not be a competitive match for the U.S. The Yanks should roll and it will be concerning if they don't. Of note are the first call-ups to the U.S. senior team of both Darlington Nagbe (who became a U.S. citizen in September) and Matt Miazga. It will be nice to see what both can bring to the national team, and this is an opponent that the U.S. can get away with experimenting against.
This will be the first World Cup qualifier in the city of St. Louis since a draw with El Salvador in November of 1989. The U.S. is 5-1-2 all time in the city of St. Louis (4-1-1 in World Cup qualifiers) and is 7-1-2 in the state of Missouri.
Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton)
Defenders (8): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), Tim Ream (Fulham FC), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC)
Midfielders (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Miguel Ibarra (Club Leon), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland)
Forwards (5): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Alan Gordon (LA Galaxy), Jordan Morris (Stanford), Bobby Wood (Union Berlin), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)
How to Watch:
Match time: 6:30 p.m. (ET)
Venue: Busch Stadium - St. Louis, MO
TV: ESPN, UniMas, UDN
Live Stream: WatchESPN
Twitter: For rapid reaction and live updates, follow along with @StarsAndStripesFC or via @ussoccer and the hashtag to follow is #USAvVIN.
Match Thread Rules:
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with other supporters. If you're new, welcome to our happy home! While you're here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They can get us in trouble, and no one wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who spews nothing but venom and hate for the team. It's ok to be critical, and, let's face it, sometimes even the best teams can be frustrating to watch, but being overly negative relentlessly can sap the enjoyment for others.
- Keep it somewhat clean and fair when criticizing players / officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Do unto others in the match thread, the way you would have others do unto you. We are a fun community and want to keep it this way. We have a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
- Finally, we don't have a rule against profanity but don't abuse the non-rule. Also, any language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We're all in this together.