As we count down to the new year of 2015, Orlando City SC's first in MLS, and say goodbye to 2014, it's time to look back at the club's 10 best moments of the year.
No. 3 Moment of 2014: Groundbreaking Celebration
Thousands of Orlando City faithful flooded the site of the new downtown stadium, enjoying a special moment for the club and community. Our No. 3 moment caps off an important day bonding club and city together.
When the final whistle blew against the Richmond Kickers on Sept. 6 at Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports, the scoreboard read: Orlando City 1, Richmond 0.
The win was No. 19 on the season against five draws and four losses in 28 outings with an incredible +32 goal differential. The Lions had already clinched the 2014 Commissioner's Cup the previous game, but that final whistle capped the regular season and City's fifth major trophy in just four years of USL Pro play. The Lions completed their time in USL Pro with three Commissioner's Cups and two playoff championships, accomplishing both in 2011.
With 62 points, Orlando City finished seven points clear of second-place Sacramento Republic FC, the eventual playoff champs. The postseason was a bit soured by a 1-0 first-round exit against Harrisburg City, but that doesn't erase a dominant league performance throughout a regular season in which the Lions didn't taste defeat on their home grounds.
Over the course of the year, City established the best record ever by a U.S. professional club through its first 100 games, going 66-12-22 and losing only four home games in that span.
The regular season championship punctuated our brief stay in USL Pro and added to the legacy and culture of winning that the front office has built since the inaugural season. That culture and legacy will serve the club well as it moves into its inaugural MLS season in 2015.
Check out the rest of our top 10 Orlando City moments of 2014:
10. Kevin Molino breaks the USL Pro goal-scoring record
9. Postseason USL Pro honors for Molino and Luke Boden
8. Winning top pick in Draft Lottery
7. Molino becomes the club's first ever MLS player signing.
6. Lions acquire Hall, Collin and Okugo on "Major Monday."
5. Brek Shea signed and 2015 home opener announced on "Fantastic Friday."
4. Passing of bill that will augment the funding of Orlando City's new stadium.
3. Breaking ground on Orlando City's new downtown soccer stadium.