As we count down to the new year of 2015, Orlando City SC's first in MLS, and say goodbye to 2014, it's time to look back at the club's 10 best moments of the year.
The Mane Land's No. 3 Orlando City SC moment of 2014 was a groundbreaking day for the whole Lions community. On Oct. 16, thousands of fans marched to the site of the future downtown soccer stadium to join players, local government officials and MLS representatives for a monumental celebration.
Orlando City did an excellent job making this incredible occasion a truly special event for the community. Billboards all across the city were plastered with Instagram posts of fans making new memories and displaying their Lion pride. Those lucky enough to attend the event were also gifted a commemorative pail of purple sand they could take home to remember the jubilant affair.
"Today marks more than a mere stadium groundbreaking, it marks the beginning of a new era for the community, our fans and our team." said club founder and president Phil Rawlins. "We are immensely proud to be a part of such a transformational project, which will bring world class soccer to the ‘Soccer Capital of the South"
Events such as these will go a long way in establishing a passionate fan base that will spill over into the stadium each week. And although the stadium will not be completed until the 2016 season, it is the buzz and excitement generated now that will make Orlando City's one of the best Major League Soccer venues.
Check out the rest of our top 10 Orlando City moments of 2014:
10. Kevin Molino breaks the USL Pro goal-scoring record
9. Postseason USL Pro honors for Molino and Luke Boden
8. Winning top pick in Draft Lottery
7. Molino becomes the club's first ever MLS player signing.
6. Lions acquire Hall, Collin and Okugo on "Major Monday."
5. Brek Shea signed and 2015 home opener announced on "Fantastic Friday."
4. Passing of bill that will augment the funding of Orlando City's new stadium.