As we count down to the new year of 2015, Orlando City SC's first in MLS, and say goodbye to 2014, it's time to look back at the club's 10 best moments of the year.
Orlando City SC fans already knew they were getting a new soccer stadium entering 2014. The stadium project got a big boost this spring with the passing of HB 7095, providing additional funding for the new venue. The bill was passed in May and signed into law by Governor Rick Scott in June.
The influx of cash took the project from $85 million to $115 million and will enable the club to build a state-of-the-art soccer stadium. That kind of money allows for things like more roofing overhang area, a larger club area and other bells and whistles.
The difference between a no-frills stadium and one a little more comfortable and functional for fans may seem like a small one, but a soccer venue isn't something you build every day and it's more important to get it right the first time rather than spending lavishly on upgrades a year or two after opening.
The Lions won't open their new stadium until 2016, but getting the extra funding to build it right qualifies as one of the top moments of the year.
Check out the rest of our top 10 Orlando City moments of 2014:
10. Kevin Molino breaks the USL Pro goal-scoring record
9. Postseason USL Pro honors for Molino and Luke Boden
8. Winning top pick in Draft Lottery
7. Molino becomes the club's first ever MLS player signing.
6. Lions acquire Hall, Collin and Okugo on "Major Monday."
5. Brek Shea signed and 2015 home opener announced on "Fantastic Friday."